Workplace Violence & Harassment
The Occupational Health and Safety Act was amended by Bill 168 to include specific provisions for protecting workers from workplace violence and workplace harassment. These changes will make Ontario workplaces safer, and will result in more open communication between supervisors and employees.
Mohawk College is committed to provide a safe, secure and positive working and learning environment through the implementation of workplace violence and harassment policies and programs.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- Employers need to balance privacy with worker safety. If necessary, employers are permitted to disclose as much personal information as needed to protect workers.
- The provision to disclose personal information under the Occupational Health and Safety Act supersedes privacy legislation.
- No employer or supervisor shall disclose more personal information in the circumstances than is reasonably necessary to protect the worker from physical injury.
Related Policies and Procedures
- CR801 "Violence Prevention and Protection"
- ERP810 "Reporting and Responding to Violence"
- HR402 "Harassment"
- AC757 "Student Behaviour"
- ERP805 "Emergency Evacuation"
- ERP808 "Bomb Threats"
- ERP809 "Emergency Lockdown"
- Preventing and Responding to Workplace Violence Safety Tips and Guidelines