Get ready for College!
Your success at Mohawk is our priority. In order to ensure that you are able to manage the reading, writing and communications requirements for your courses, all full-time certificate and diploma programs require Grade 12 English (or equivalent) as an entry requirement. Most Technology, Business and Health Science programs also require appropriate math and/or science courses.
Complete the Program Prerequisites
Some Mohawk programs require applicants to demonstrate that they have completed specific Grade 12 courses. Alternatively, applicants must demonstrate that they have completed an equivalent.
Please note that while these options qualify applicants to attend Mohawk certificate and diploma programs, they are not sufficient for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing or the Bachelor of Medical Radiation Sciences run collaboratively with McMaster University.
The following table lists some of the opportunities available for academic upgrading to the Grade 12 level:
Tuition-free programs that provide participants with the opportunity to upgrade their academic skills to reach their personal goals of further education, employment or training.
- In-Class Options - Self-paced, goal-oriented in-class ACE courses for adult learners.
- Online Learning Options - Online ACE courses.
- Deaf Empowerment Program - This tuition-free program provides academic upgrading for deaf adults taught in ASL.
Visit Mohawk's Continuing Education website
- These courses are not intended for English as a Second Language (ESL) students for admission purposes.
See English as a Second Language (ESL) for more information.
- The Continuing Education preparatory option is NOT sufficient as a prerequisite for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Medical Radiation Sciences Degree programs.
The GED is a high school equivalent certificate, relative to:
- Grade 12 English (College Preparation)
- Grade 10 Math (Applied)
- Visit ilc.org/ged (opens new window) for more information
- GED Preparation at Mohawk College - visit the Academic Upgrading webpage
- Even with a GED, it may still be necessary to complete additional math or science courses to be eligible for specific programs at Mohawk.
- This option is NOT sufficient as a prerequisite for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Medical Radiation Sciences degree programs, or Mohawk Applied degrees.
Local Boards of Education
St. Charles Adult Education (HWCDSB)
St. Charles Adult Education offers courses at several locations in Hamilton. St. Charles provides a variety of secondary school courses leading to an Ontario secondary school diploma (OSSD). Grade 12 English courses are available. For further information visit stcharles.ca (opens new windoww).
Adult Continuing Education (HWDSB)
The HWDSB provides high school completion, including courses at the Grade 12(U) level. For further information phone 905-561-2190 or visit hwdsb.on.ca/cce (opens new window).
If you live outside of Hamilton, contact your local District School Board to see what courses are offered at their Adult Education service.
If English is not your first language, you can find out your current language level by taking one the following tests:
- PTE (Pearson Test of English)
Please check the Admission requirements for each program you might be interested in to see which test is acceptable.
International Credentials Evaluation
Provides various services relating to translating and/or determining Canadian equivalents to academic credentials received internationally.