Step into the future with confidence
A tuition-free program that helps you build confidence and upgrade your skills.Watch the video
Who Should Attend• Adult learners who are 19+ years of age
• Those in need of meeting admission requirements
for applying to college (i.e. math and/or English)
• Those who need their grade 12 or equivalent
to be considered for further education,
employment advancement or promotion
• Those who want to register as an apprentice
but did not finish high school - or completed
high school some time ago and need to review
• Those interested in preparation for the GED.
• Anyone wanting to refresh Math, Communications
or Computer skills before re-entering the workforce
or for personal achievement
Academic Upgrading can assist with:1. Postsecondary Program Readiness
2. Apprenticeship Preparations and Support
3. Employment Preparations and Support
The Benefits• Personalized assessment
• Individualized "Learning Plans"
• Goal-oriented learning
• Learning-centered teaching approach
• Flexible hours and continuous intake
Employment Ontario's Literacy & Basic Skills Programs require:• applicants to be Ontario residents;
• 19+ years of age (exceptions may apply on a case-by-case basis); and
• Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 6 in speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
This program does not provide English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction.
Please contact the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford for information
regarding the Canadian Language Benchmark Test (CLBT).
How it Works• Academic Upgrading takes a learner, goal-centered approach
• Upon contacting Academic Upgrading, a 1-on-1 meeting will be set up to discuss
your learning needs, assess your skills and create a plan tailored just for you
Tuition is free and you may qualify for a Training Support Funds to help you pay for transportation and child care costs.
We can walk you through the process to get you started. View our program availability, locations and contact information.
This Employment Ontario project is funded by the Ontario Government.