Bridging for Internationally Educated Nurses Certificate
Program OverviewStart Date: Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Winter 2017
School: Part Time & Graduate Studies, Health Sciences
Program Number: 189
Delivery: In Class
Accreditation: Ontario College Certificate
Opening Doors For Internationally Educated Nurses
If you are a dedicated, skilled nurse registered outside of Canada, Mohawk College is your bridge to Ontario nursing registration.
The Bridging for Internationally Educated Nurses (BIEN) program will provide you with the education and clinical experience necessary to meet the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) evidence of practice requirements.
The Bridging for Internationally Educated Nurses (BIEN) program will provide you with the education and clinical experience necessary to meet the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) evidence of practice requirements. Upon completion of the program, a verification of course completion will be forwarded to the College of Nurses as proof of practice and fluency.
This program is available on a part-time basis.
- Receive a recognized Ontario College Certificate
- Nursing-specific language courses
- Best practices as applied to nursing in Ontario
- Gain experience in a Canadian hospital setting
- Meet CNO's evidence of practice and fluency requirement
- Employment ready
- Assessment letters from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) indicating educational equivalency as RN or RPN
- Have practiced as a nurse within the last 10 years
- All applicants for whom English is a second language must provide Official IELTS report with scores of 6.5 (Speaking and Writing) and 6.0 (Reading and Listening) OR Canadian English Language Benchmark OR I-CELBAN results of 8 (Speaking & Writing) and 7 (Reading and Listening) OR provide proof of fluency with College of Nurses. For CLB assessment or upgrading contact. For CLB assessment or upgrading contact Applied Communication for IELTS Assessment.
- Proof of immigration status such as Canadian citizenship, permanent residency OR authorized under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada)
- Computer literacy** is required for program success. You must be able to use a computer to produce a basic Word document, use e-mail and the Internet
How to Register
Forward a cover letter along with:
- Letter of Assessment from CNO
- Resume outlining your nursing practice
- Results of Official IELTS Assessment or Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or I-CELBAN or proof fluency with CNO
- Proof of Citizenship or immigration status
Forward your documents by fax, email or mail to
BIEN Program Mohawk College
Institute of Applied Health Sciences
1400 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada, L8S 1C7
Email: BIEN Program Mohawk College
Program of Studies
This program of study applies to students starting Fall 2015.
Your Program of Study is individualized and forwarded to you at admissions.
Students currently in progress should contact the BIEN Program regarding a strategy for completion.
All courses must be completed prior to Professional Practice. Contact Pre-placement office for details. All non-academic requirements must be met prior to professional practice.
Professional practice is based on availability of clinical placements.
Click on the course title for a course description.
You must complete your program of study within 3 years from admission.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Prioritize and organize nursing and health care
- Participate effectively as a team member to support clients' achievement of their expect health outcomes
- Complete assessments in a holistic, comprehensive and analytical manner
- Integrate theory, principles, and concepts into competent nursing practice
- Apply principles of teaching-learning to promote clients' health and wellness
- Practice in a professional manner within a legislative and ethical framework
- Communicate effectively with clients, health care team members, and other
- Implement and evaluate nursing interventions competently
- Use a variety of technological tools to support clients' achievement of their expected outcomes
- Develop and sustain therapeutic relationships with clients
Industries of Employment:
- Hospitals, Physicians' Office, Retirement Homes, Community Agencies, Nursing Homes and Long Term Care Homes
- Business Industries
- Registered Nurse or Practical Nurse
- "I recommend this course for every international nurse."
- "I have learned a lot, especially about the Canadian system of caring for individuals."
- "Through this program, I learned to boost my confidence as a student and as a future Canadian nurse."
- "To those people intending to enroll in this program, I strongly recommend it...There would surely be an impact on your life and your career."
Ontario Bridging Participants Assistance Program.
Accepted BIEN students may be eligible to receive up to $5000 in bursary funding towards tuition, books or equipment.
Immigrant Access Fund
Accepted BIEN students can apply for a low interest loan. For more information click here.
- College Of Nurses Of Ontario (CNO)
- CARE - Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
- Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment
- International English Language Testing System
- Office of Fairness Commissioner