Medical Transcription Certificate
Program OverviewStart Date: Fall, Winter, Spring
School: Continuing Education - Business
Program Number: 172
Delivery: Blended (mix of in class and online)
Accreditation: Mohawk College Certificate
Develop knowledge and skills necessary for success as a Medical Transcriptionist. Learn to complete accurate transcription of complex medical reports and correspondence, within a specified time limit.
Demonstrate competence in knowledge of medical terminology, the English language, excellent keyboarding speed and proficiency with word processing software is a prerequisite. PLAR exams may be available for some courses.
- Develop and understand terms and concepts related to diseases & disorders
- Learn to correctly spell, pronounce and define medical terms related to anatomy, physiology and pathology of the body
- Learn basic medical dictation based on established standards
- Enhance understanding and skills in transcription of complex and specialized medical dictations
It is expected that you will have successfully completed the appropriate courses or Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) Challenge Exams before pursuing the necessary four levels of transcription. Students in Office Administration - Medical diploma program will have completed all courses except Medical Transcribing 3 and 4 and are encouraged to complete these to obtain this additional credential.
How to Register
Click here to discover our many ways to register.
Program of Studies
For students starting Fall 2016.
Students who are currently in progress should contact Continuing Education regarding a strategy for completion.
Click on the course title for a course description.
How do I apply to Graduate?
When you receive your final grades for all the courses in the program, you may apply for your Certificate. Click here for more information.
An Acknowledgement of Completion is available to students who successfully complete:
- OADMOA323 Medical Terminology 1
- OADMOA324 Medical Terminology 2
Program Learning Outcome
Apply knowledge of medical terms and practices to a medical office setting.
Upon completion of this certificate program, you may find job opportunities in the following areas:
Industries of Employment:
- Healthcare Administration
- Medical Transcription
- Private Practice
- Specialty Medicine
- Nursing homes
- Social Services, i.e. CCAC etc.