Social Service Worker Diploma
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
Program Number: 215
Equivalent to the dayschool program. This program is designed to prepare students to perform various functions for Social Service agencies including: interviewing, assessment, counselling and assisting clients by linking them to resources in the community.
- Develop your awareness of yourself, gain greater insight into who you are and experience personal growth
- Discover how Social Service Workers facilitate positive changes in the lives of others
- Experience supervised field placements selected for you, based on your individual learning goals, and supported by experiencing faculty
- Learn about the core valued of helping others such as the right to choose, the right to equality, justice and access to service
- Gain core heling skills such as interviewing, assessing the needs of others, working effectively with groups, and assisting communities to change
- Develop the ability to document, work within legal and ethical frameworks and understand the importance of respecting the uniqueness and dignity of all people
- Learn about anti-oppressive theory and practice as it related to advocacy, case management, etc
- Be eligible for mandatory membership in the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Graduates have continued with their education and attended different universities for degree completion
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent (minimum 70% guideline)
- Program orientation is strongly encouraged
- Options are available for mature applicants.
Students may be required to complete various Immunizations and Disease Screening protocol required by some field placement agencies.
Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter clinical placement. A certificate of 'Police Clearance' and/or 'Consent to Disclosure' may be requested by the clinical placement agency.
To download the application form, click here.
PROGRAM OF STUDIES
Courses are restricted to those who have previously applied and been accepted. Please refer to the dayschool Program of Studies for more information
Field Placement is a required component of the Social Service Worker Program. Students learn to apply theoretical social service worker knowledge in different agency settings in the community. Students complete a minimum of 600 hours of practicum, supervised by qualified human service workers within the agency setting.