Ward Clerk Certificate
|Fall 2014, Winter 2015, Spring 2015|
|Mohawk College Certificate|
This program is designed to provide the training necessary to obtain the basic skills to be employed as a hospital ward clerk/secretary. All courses are available online. Medical keyboarding (KEYB10005) is strongly recommended to increase your employment opportunities.
- Ensures medical records, laboratory reports, radiological images, and other patient records are properly completed and secured, but readily available to physicians, nurses and other health care providers
- Has a critical role in ensuring optimal and safe patient care, enabling medical and nursing staff to do their work efficiently and in compliance with hospital policies and procedures
- Ward clerks perform clerical work at the nurse's station of a hospital or nursing unit. Their work allows nurses to spend more time on patient care
- Ward clerks do most of the paperwork for their nursing unit. They keep records on the patients and on the ward's hospital staff. They may perform other routine clerical duties. Clerks also act as receptionists for their ward. They answer the telephone and direct visitors to patients' rooms. Sometimes ward clerks also do other jobs, such as ordering supplies or taking mail or flowers to patients
- Grade 12 diploma, including Grade 12 English comprehension, reading and writing, or equivalency
- Basic computer skills
- Experience in the health care setting is always an asset
- Medical Keyboarding (KEYB10005) is strongly recommended
How to Register
Registration is open to all students. For registration options click here.
Program of StudiesThis program of study applies to students starting Fall 2014. Students currently in progress should contact the Program Manager regarding a strategy for completion
Click on the course title for a course description.
NOTE: Medical Terminology II – Pronunciation is not equivalent to Medical Terminology 2 – OADMOA324
How do I apply to Graduate?
When you receive your final grades for all mandatory courses in a program, you may request your Certificate. Click here for a certificate request form.
Ward Clerk - Related Courses
|Course Number||Course Name||Course Hours||Prerequisites||Equivalent|
|MGMT10039||Essentials in Health Records Management||36|
|OADM10010||Medical OHIP Billing||42||HSCI10003||INSROA350|
|HSCI10152||Styles and Practices of Medical Transcription||42|
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will understand the language and terminology in a health-care setting and gain proficiency in medical terminology pronunciation
- Students will understand common medical conditions and medical test
- Students will develop an understanding of how drugs work, drug classifications, methods of administration and the major drug groups affecting various body systems
- Students will develop knowledge of common surgical procedures to educate patients about appropriate pre-and post-surgery requirements
- Communication skills will be enhanced and an emphasis on verbal and nonverbal communication including ethical behavior, confidentiality procedures, and stress management will be covered
Industries of Employment:
With the skills and knowledge you will receive in these courses, you will be eligible to work in:
- Doctors' offices
- Health clinics
- Health care organizations
Ward clerks are also referred to as ward, unit, or floor secretaries, assistants, or administrative assistants
Reach Shelley Kitchen by phone at 905-575-2706 or send her an email.
For more information on the program, click here.