What's New at the Sustainability Office
Tips for Students and Staff
1) Stay informed!
Join the Sustainability eNews, Sign-up to receive news once a month regarding on-campus events, community initiatives, and tips for your daily life!
2) Alternate mode of transportation!
- You should take advantage of your HSR (Hamilton Street Railway) Bus Pass that is provided to all full-time Mohawk students. Want more information:Click Here
- Want to bicycle to school, Mohawk is home to a restricted access bike parking facility. Want more information:Click Here
- Mohawk offers discounted HSR Transit Passes for all Mohawk College Employees. Check out how the program works and save!
3) Bring your own Bottle, Mugs, Food Containers, and Bags!
Reusable mugs, food containers, and bottles are impressive and a great way to decrease waste and save money.
- You save $0.25 each time you use your own mug at any one of the coffee shops on campus!
- We have over 30 water fountains across campus! 20 of which are automatic water refill stations!
- Want to bring your own lunch but don't want to wash them later when you get home! Use our dish washing station, located in lower c-wing!
4) Recycle on campus! Bring your E-waste and old Batteries!
Mohawk has brought a four-stream waste bin system to help reduce unnecessary waste. The "what goes where" signage above the bins help educate users on proper waste disposal.
We also offer students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to recycle personal electronic waste. We also have just re-launched our on-campus battery recycling program. We encourage your to bring your used batteries to one of our locations to ensure they are recycled properly.
5) Healthy Fresh Sustainable Food Systems!
Twice a month Mohawk offers staff and students the opportunity to purchase Local Bounty Bags. In partnership with the Mustard Seed Coop, these bags will be filled to the brim with a colourful variety of fresh and local produce items! Bounty Bags are $20 (retail at $25), and provide an assortment of local produce for 1-2 individuals. Click here for more information!
Got a green thumb!
Join our eNewsletter to find out when registration opens for our Community Garden Co-op! Last summer we offered a 10-plot, 320-square foot garden near the front entrance of the campus.
EMP 2.0: Raising the Bar on Sustainability at Mohawk!
Mohawk College is committed to conducting business in ways which positively impact people, the environment and the economy. As momentum builds at the individual, community, national and international levels, Mohawk will continue to be a leader in the sustainability movement.
The Environmental Management Plan update (EMP 2.0) reaffirms Mohawk’s commitment to reducing its impact on the environment, and ensures social and financial resiliency while providing opportunities to engage staff, students and the community in an ever-growing culture of sustainability. EMP 2.0 will continue to act as the leading policy document and blueprint that will play a vital role in Mohawk's future success, as the sustainability movement progresses from a grassroots movement to a global reality.
At Mohawk College, Environmental Sustainability is one component of our overall sustainability efforts
Along with social and financial sustainability, our environmental sustainability is a cornerstone of our Strategic Plan. We feel it is our responsibility to work alongside our community, businesses, other Colleges and Universities, and individuals to promote environmental awareness and sustainability. For decades, we have been reducing our impact on the planet and as we move forward, we are creating policies that ensure a prosperous future for generations to come.
- Restricted-Access Bike Parking FacilityAre you a cyclist looking for a safe place to store your bike on campus?
- MoCoModal - Your Fennell Campus Travel AidThe Mohawk College Multi-Modal Travel Plans (MoCoModal) recommends different travel options available to you to get to campus.
- Local and Sustainable Food