Quality Engineering Technician - Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE)
The Quality Engineering Technician - Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE) cooperative education program at Mohawk Collegeis a two-year Ontario College Diploma offered at Fennell Campus in Hamilton, Ontario.
- Co-op Format
- Program of Studies
- Work Term Capabilities
- Program Highlights
- Program Objectives
- Career Opportunities
- Salary Range
- Contact Information
This program is delivered in partnership with The Canadian Institute for NDE (CINDE).
Non-destructive testers and inspectors are people who use radiographic, ultrasonic, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, eddy current and other testing equipment to detect flaws or discontinuities in parts, equipment or materials of various compositions and materials. They are employed by quality control, maintenance and safety departments of manufacturing, processing, transportation, energy and other companies and by private industrial inspection establishments.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Work Term 1||Work Term 2||Work Term 3|
Program of Studies
Work Term CapabilitiesPrinciples and Applications of NDE:
- Carry out inspection in accordance with established procedures under the supervision of CGSB certified Level 2 or Level 3 NDT personnel
- Fully versed in the safe operation of both x- and gamma-radiography equipment, use and care of radiation monitoring devices and film processing
Liquid Penetrant, Ultrasonics, Eddy Current and Magnetic Particle
- Carry out inspection in accordance with established procedures under the supervision of CGSB Level 2 or Level 3 NDT personnel
Students in this program will:
- Use state of the art equipment and facilities available through a partnership with the Canadian Institute for NDE (CINDE).
- Learn from CINDE instructors about specialized NDT techniques such Magnetic particle, Liquid penetrant, Ultrasonics, Eddy Current and Radiography.
- Prepare for Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) 3rd. party certification according to national standard CAN/CGSB-48.9712.
- Meet Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission requirements to write examination for the Certified Exposure Device Operator's (CEDO) license.
The objective of the Quality Engineering Technician – Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE) program is to allow students to:
- Master theoretical and practical on-site non destructive inspection and testing techniques that enable examination of parts, equipment or materials in a way that does not impair its usefulness
- Detect problems with potential for unreliable product or process performance or product failure. Alleviate/manage the consequences of failure using a range of scientific tests and predictive techniques
- Solve routine technical problems related to shop or field environments using a variety of systematic approaches
- Interpret and produce basic graphics and other standard technical documents necessary for testing, compliance and maintenance
- Determine properties of materials from production to processing relative to defect detection and material acceptance to applicable codes and standards appropriate to various industries
- Predict, maintain and test for reliability and quality of equipment, components and/or structures to maintain safe, effective and efficient operation
- Obtain understanding of visual inspection and quality assurance techniques used in welded fabrication
- Explore condition monitoring technologies such as vibration analysis, lubricant analysis, infrared thermography, ultrasound, and motor circuit analysis. Understand why identifying the onset of failure and taking preventive actions is needed to ensure a safe and profitable workplace
- Conduct regulated inspections for equipment monitoring and maintenance in critical industries such as nuclear power generation, civil aviation and the military.
- Perform quality control inspection of incoming materials, fabricated parts and assemblies in the steel, automotive, general manufacturing and construction industries.
- Provide consulting and inspection services for bridges, structures, lifting devices and pressure vessels.
|Work Term 1||Work Term 2||Work Term 3|
|Range||$15.00 - $20.00||$14.00 - $20.00||$14.00 - $20.00|
For further information, please contact:
Natasha Thomson, Co-op SpecialistBack to Top
P.O. Box 2034
Email: Natasha Thomson