Internal & External Communication ServicesEffective communications are key to a healthy college environment, enhance and maintain the College's reputation and support the College's growth and success. Mohawk College Communications is responsible for both internal and external communications functions as well as staff and student focused special events at Mohawk College.
Effective internal communications rely on the feedback and contributions of staff, students and other stakeholders. The Communications staff facilitates internal communications through a number of outlets, including:
- Mohawk Matters: Submit news items by emailing Jay Robb or Sean Coffey.
- Mohawk this Week: Submissions for this weekly email/blog events news bulletin are accepted, and must be received by 4:30 on Thursday afternoons. Send your submissions to Sean Coffey
- On-campus TV Screens: Mohawk College's Broadcasting Program maintains a campus-wide network of television screens capable of broadcasting news and information throughout the college.
Need help getting the word out to students, faculty and staff about a new project?
We can help you put together a communications plan that gets results. To get started fill out a Strategic Communications Plan Request.
A note about campus-wide emails:
Mohawk this Week is used for short news items, event promotion, etc. related to Mohawk College. News and events must be of interest to the Mohawk College community, including students, staff, alumni and community partners. Mohawk this Week is posted to the Mohawk Matters blog every Sunday and followed by a broadcast email to all staff and students on Monday. Send your submissions to Sean Coffey, Coordinator, Communications no later than the Thursday at 4:30 p.m. For further information regarding the weekly Campus Update email, please contact Sean Coffey.
Mohawk College has a strong record of effective media relations, and uses earned media to raise the profile of the college, its programs, services and events; share stories of staff and student success; and advocate on key issues facing the college. Mohawk College Communications maintains comprehensive media lists that include local, provincial and national print and electronic media, as well as specialized lists of niche and trade media. Media Relations services at Mohawk College include the following:
- Media Releases: Media releases are intended to generate media coverage of a College news item, issue or event.
- Media Advisories: Media advisories are intended to invite the media to cover an event, and are typically issued one week prior to the event.
- Pitch Letters: Pitch letters are directed at specific reporters/news outlets and are intended to generate coverage of a news item.
- Media interviews: Mohawk College staff are sometimes contacted by media to add follow-up comments to media releases, respond to issues or events, or comment on trends or issues of the day. Please note: Initial media inquiries should always be directed to Jay Robb, Director, Communications.
College experts as a media resource:
The College often receives inquiries from reporters seeking expert comments on trends or issues. If you are a faculty member with expertise in a certain area(s), and are interested in being a resource for media, please forward your name, academic division, academic credentials and contact info (including cell phone number) to Jay Robb, Director, Communications.
PLEASE NOTE: All media materials are drafted, approved and distributed by Communications. If you require media relations services for a news item or event, please submit a Communication Services Request, or if you have a news item to share, please contact Jay Robb.