Business Analysis - 334
The Business Analysis program is a two-semester Ontario College Graduate Certificate intended to train students to become Business Analysts.
Learning is focused on alignment of business processes across functions and enterprises, and how those processes relate to the organization from a strategic, tactical and financial perspective. The courses in the Business Analysis program include Technology Tools and Database Fundamentals and Reporting, so that students can begin to appreciate the complexities of information technology. Critical-thinking skills, with a focus on process evaluation, will be developed in the core Business Analysis program through courses such as Requirements Analysis, Solutions Assessment, Project Management and Planning and Monitoring. Overlaying the methodologies for information technology and business training will be courses on Project Management, Negotiation, Facilitation and Lean Six Sigma.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
- Develop new or improved innovative business processes from gap analysis through process design in support of a company's strategic objectives in a socially responsible manner.
- Utilize effective and established research, documentation methods, and business improvement procedures in order to develop and document business processes and business models according to established timelines and project goals.
- Plan, manage, and facilitate the requirements gathering activities throughout the requirements process for changes to a business system, including analysis of the interdependence between financial and operational metrics.
- Develop strategies to bridge gaps between requirements and existing systems using appropriate methods, tools, techniques and documentation in accordance with standard business practices.
- Use a project management approach to communicate technical and business information to a variety of stakeholders, including technical and business stakeholders.
- Collaborate, network and communicate with various stakeholders in an ethical manner by applying negotiation and problem-solving skills in order to evaluate and align business processes and business models with the strategic objectives of the organization.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Business Analysis Graduate Certificate program
- University Degree or College diploma (two-year or longer), OR an acceptable combination of related work experience and postsecondary education (as determined by the College)
- Postsecondary transcripts, indicating courses completed to date
- Fluency requirements must be met for applicants where English is their second language. Visit mohawkcollege.ca/334-english
- International Visa students may contact Mohawk International at mohawkcollege.ca/international for more information
- International students will require a language score of 6.5 overall, including a score of 6.5, each, for production skills (writing and speaking). If you are an International student, please contact the International Student Department for more information.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Business Analysis Program
The Language Proficiency Requirements for the Business Analysis Program requires that one of the benchmarks listed in the chart below for language proficiency must be met prior to admission for:
- International students
- students who present with foreign credentials
- students whose first language is not English
Applicants must provide proof of 4 years of consecutive full time instruction in English in Canada or another English speaking country to be excused from this criteria. This can include:
- 4 years of high school
- combination of high school and college or university
Students that complete LINC 6 or EAP 400 are currently given the grade 12 equivalency and meet minimum entrance standards for Mohawk College, but will still have to submit proof of 4 years consecutive English or passing scores in IELTS/TOEFL/Cantest/Melab.
The proficiency levels required are higher than most other programs at Mohawk College.
Students must meet ONE of the requirements listed below prior to admission:
For IELTS, no section scores less than 6.0, accounting already for the SEM. Likewise, scores for Writing and Speaking on the MELAB, and all final band scores on the CanTEST, account already for the SEM. CanTEST does not report total scores.
Experiential Learning Opportunity
Participate in real-world learning experiences through a variety of experiential learning opportunities such as field placement, industry projects and/or business case simulations
Apply knowledge and skills gained in academic studies to enhance skills and to establish or refine professional and personal development goals in an experiential learning environment that ensures access to leading industry practice
The Business Analysis Graduate Certificate program can lead to exciting career opportunities
- Business Analysts
- Business Process Analysts
- Change Management Specialist
- Project Manager
Upon completion of the credential, graduates may be eligible for various external accreditations or designations. Graduates of the Business Analysis program may receive the Academic Diploma in Business Analysis from the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA).
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Visit the Business Analysis Student Placement Partnership page for information on the field placement opportunities for this program!