Art and Design Foundations - 270
Art and Design is a foundational program that explores various aspects of the graphic arts industry. You will be working with industry software on Mac computers, with cameras and photographic equipment, as well as varying mediums of art from traditional illustration to life drawing. Strong drawing and artistic skill sets are an important part of the graphics communication workflow, from storyboards to final illustrated pieces, therefore traditional and digital art are a major component of any of our programs.
- Examine traditional art, digital arts, applied design and communications
- Understand the basics of the art and design workflow process
- Create traditional art and digital art projects suitable for portfolios necessary for visual arts, advertising, and graphic design
- Plan, create, implement and present visual communications in a variety of media
- Study principles of design, idea development research and presentation technology portfolio development, drawing, colour theory, printing technology, and still photography
- Bridge gaps between high school or work to college level diploma programs by building strong and foundational art and design skills
- Enhance competitive position in applying for and succeeding in future educational endeavours
- Build an entrance-seeking traditional and e-portfolio of art and design for future career
- Explore career re-direction or retirement interests
1 academic year (period of 8 months)
Minimum requirements for admission to the Art and Design Foundations Certificate program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English E, C or U or equivalent
- Students do not need to purchase a computer, or camera. There are however material fees for various art supplies and media outputs
Option are available for mature applicants.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
Additional or Technical Recommendations
- Material Art Kit Package (approx. $150.00)
- USB Flash Drive (approx. $20.00)
- SD Card (approx. $15.00)
- This program is designed to provide exposure to the creative side of graphic design, communication media and traditional arts to assist students in making an informed choice in their selection of a program major. It will also build strong foundational skills that will contribute to their success in additional study
- Students will develop an art and design portfolio (both digital and traditional) toward application in further study that showcases both art and design
- Admission is open to Graphic Design and Graphic Design Production - Integrated Animation Diploma programs as graduates of Art and Design Foundations
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.