Broadcasting - Radio - 220
Enjoy Mohawk’s award winning radio station at 101.5 FM The Hawk (opens new window)!
Listen to Ignite Radio (opens new window) - Hamilton's #1 Top 40 internet radio station.
101.5 FM THE HAWK is a living lab for students in Mohawk's Radio Broadcasting and Journalism programs where students host morning shows and anchor newscasts on live radio, in addition to the station's regular programming. The Radio program also operates Ignite Radio, an internet based radio station. Listen live at 101.5 FM The Hawk (opens new window) and Ignite Radio (opens new window).
Radio Broadcasting Video
- Learn how to produce an internet radio show on Ignite Radio
- Acquire hands-on, diversified communications skills
- Explore production, promotion, announcing and sales
- Discover commercial writing, on-air performing and various new areas of the communications industry
- Learn the business side of broadcasting
- Specialize in news and sports presentation, program and music scheduling
- New technology has resulted in greater opportunities for trained individuals with creative abilities, and for those with a combination of creative and technical skills
Minimum requirements for admission to the Broadcasting - Radio Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Broadcast – Radio is a high demand program. Applicants may be requested to provide additional information
- Students will be required to pay a digital print fee
Contact Admissions for options that are available for mature applicants.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
For transfer opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
Industries of Employment:
- Radio Stations (on air personality, announcer, producer, creative writer, sales & promotion)
- Voiceover Work
- Record Labels
- Sound Recording Industries
- Advertising Agencies
- Sales/Marketing Representatives
- Broadcast Equipment Operators for Digital Mixers, Editing and Transmission
- Radio Programmers
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.