Social Service Worker - 215
Already have a related degree or diploma? We are pleased to offer the Social Service Worker Intensive Diploma program.
Fast Track allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program (non co-op) in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.
- Develop awareness of yourself, gain greater insight into who you are and experience personal growth
- Discover how Social Service Workers facilitate positive changes in the lives of others
- Learn how to focus on the relationships that people have with each other and the world around them as a way of helping others
- Experience supervised field placements selected for you, based on your individual learning goals, and supported by experienced faculty
- Learn about the core values of helping others such as the right to choose, the right to equality, justice and access to service
- Gain core helping skills such as interviewing, assessing the needs of others, working effectively with groups, and assisting communities to change
- Develop the ability to document, work within legal and ethical frameworks and understand the importance of respecting the uniqueness and dignity of all people
- Learn about anti-oppressive theory and practice as it relates to advocacy, case management, etc.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Social Service Worker Diploma program for September 2015 and January 2016
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent (70% guideline)
- Attendance at program orientation is strongly recommended
- Significant volunteer experience is recommended
- Applicants should note that some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards must be met as a condition of employment
Contact Admissions for options that are available for mature applicants.
- Field placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending field placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to field placements within or outside the Hamilton region
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter placement
- Students may be required to complete various Immunizations and Disease Screening protocols required by some field placement agencies
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
For transfer opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
The Social Service Worker Diploma program can lead to exciting career opportunities
Industries of Employment:
- Community Agencies
- Ontario Works and Ontario Government
- Recovery Homes, Residential, and Community Mental Health Services
- Addiction Services
- Youth, Seniors and Women's Shelters
- Social Service Workers
- Mental Health Workers
- Case Managers
- Employment Counsellors
- Community Workers
- Become eligible for membership in the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Graduates can continue with their education by attending university for degree completion
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
For students stating Fall 2016. Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Become an Agency
If you would like to become an Agency that takes students on placement from Mohawk College's Human Services programs, please visit the Human Services Placement page.