Cardiovascular Technology - 728
The Cardiovascular Technology program outcomes of the Cardiovascular Technology program meet the competencies outlined in the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists National Competency profile (CSCT NCP). Visit the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists (opens new window) to learn more.
Visit the Career Handbook on the Government of Canada website for details on the functional requirements and physical demands for this National Occupational Classification (NOC 3217). Visit mohawkcollege.ca/728-functional-demands.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
The Cardiovascular Technology program has been granted a six-year accreditation status.
- Experience extensive hands-on training during skills courses
- Experience clinical training at affiliated hospitals and clinics
- Perform cardiovascular tests such as: Electrocardiography, Holter Monitoring, Exercise Stress Testing, Pacemaker/Cardiac Device Follow-Up, Ambulatory BP Monitoring and ECG Event/Loop Monitoring
- The first eight week clinical practicum (semester 3) is in the summer semester of year 1. The second eight week clinical practicum (semester 5) is in the final semester.
The Cardiovascular Technology health professions are intellectually, emotionally and physically demanding. It is important that applicants become familiar with the profession before entering the program so that they are able to function at an acceptable standard. Learn about the functional requirements and physical demands for Cardiology Technologists (NOC 3217) (opens new window).
Clinical experience is provided in health care agencies throughout Ontario.
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. Students should expect to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placements.
Eight week clinical practicum (Semester 3) is completed in the summer semester after year 1
All students will be required to act as simulated patients for their peers in skills course labs and during skills practice sessions.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Cardiovascular Technology Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics for College Technology (MCT4C) or any U level
- Grade 11 or 12 Physics
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology or Chemistry
- In addition to the successful completion of all admission requirements, all applicants to this program must complete a mandatory standardized Health Occupation Aptitude Examination (HOAE) as part of the selection process. There is a fee of $50.00 for this test.
Option are available for mature applicants.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply by February 1st.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Cardiovascular Technology Diploma program can lead to exciting career opportunities.
Careers in Cardiovascular Technology may involve the following:
Industries of Employment:
- Community and Teaching Hospitals
- Ambulatory Health Care Services
- Private Cardiology and Diagnostic Centres
- Cardiac Device Industry
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Centres
- Cardiac Diagnostic Equipment Companies (in Sales or Technical Support)
- Cardiology Technologist
- Pacemaker/Cardiac Device Technologist
- Electrophysiology Technologist
- Clinical Applications Specialist
- Graduates are eligible to write the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists registration examination, visit Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists (opens new window) to learn more
- Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Mohawk’s Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography program
- For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.