Diploma RPN to BScN Degree - 755
The program of study for Diploma Registered Practical Nurses prepares students for practice as Registered Nurses.
Degree awarded by McMaster University.
Non-aboriginal applicants who have applied to the RPN to BScN Six Nations program must have also applied to the Institute for Applied Health Sciences program by February 1st 2016 to be considered. Six Nations non-aboriginal applicants will be selected from the waitlist of the Institute for Applied Health Sciences program pending seat availability.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
- This program builds on the knowledge and skills acquired in the diploma Practical Nursing program
- Students receive 30 units of advanced credit and enter at Level II. The 2 Level II ‘nursing’ courses are designed to assist students in transitioning to the baccalaureate program
- Both streams are integrated for most courses
- The curriculum is planned for 3 years of full-time study. Students are allowed six years after the first ‘nursing’ course to complete the program requirements
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements
Clinical experience is provided in health care agencies throughout Ontario. Students are responsible for their own travel and costs to clinical placements.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Diploma RPN (Registered Practical Nurse) to BScN Degree program
For competitive programs (the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of available places), selection will be based on the average of the highest senior level final grades in the required courses that are available at the time of ranking.
This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Selection is based on academic qualification.
Applicants are required to:
- Apply to Ontario College Application Services along with required fees by February 1. All applications must be received by Ontario Colleges (opens new window) on or before February 1 to be given equal consideration by the college for advanced credit following admission to the program. Applicants should apply to Level III of the program
- Submit proof of a current CNO certificate of registration or proof of eligibility to write by May 2016 and subsequently pass the Practical Nurse Registration examination by the deadline of March 10th
- Submit proof of a diploma in Practical Nursing (two-year program) from an Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology or equivalent, with a minimum overall average of 75% or higher
- All transcripts, proof of CNO and diplomas must be sent directly to Ontario Colleges Application Service (opens new window)
NOTE: Note: University degree credit courses completed prior to admission will be assessed.
CASPer™ Test - Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics
All applicants to the Diploma RPN to BScN Degree program, at Mohawk College are required to complete a mandatory online 90 minute computer-based test (CASPer™), to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer™ is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. CASPer™ assesses for non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program and will complement our other applicant screening tools. In implementing CASPer™, we are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process. For more information, check out the CASPer™ (opens new window) website.
Final selection is made using a formula that combines academic strength with the score of the CASPer™ assessment.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter or continue in a clinical placement while in the program.
The RPN to BScN Degree can lead to exciting career opportunities
In collaboration with McMaster University, Mohawk College offers a RPN to BScN Program (E) Stream for diploma registered practical nurses. Graduates from this program can earn a variety of nursing careers, involving the following:
Industries of Employment:
- Staff Nurses in Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Visiting Nursing Agencies and Public Health Departments
- Care Managers for Community Care Access Centres
- Entrepreneurs Owning and Managing a Health Care or Nursing Care Business
- Researchers in Nursing Care, Nurse Education and Health Care
- Educators of Individuals, Families, Communities and Nursing Students
- Registered Nurses
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program of studies (POS) for the Diploma Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) to BScN Degree program
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.