Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant - 746
Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant is a two-year Ontario College Diploma program offered at the Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) located at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.
Outcomes of the OTA and PTA Diploma Program meet the competencies outlined by the National Competency Profiles for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants, visit Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) (opens new window) and Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (opens new window) to learn more.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
- Develop knowledge, skills and professional behaviour toward the delivery of treatment to clients/patients coping with temporary or permanent health limitations in movement and daily function
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity, respect for self and others, and strong work ethics
- Experience clinical/fieldwork placements within and outside the Hamilton area
- Experience a newly enhanced problem-based learning curriculum that uses an integrated OTA and PTA approach to reflect the role of the assistant in current practice
- The Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Program at Mohawk College has been accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) (opens new window) in collaboration with Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC) (opens new window) and the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) (opens new window). The status of Accreditation was granted to the program on April 30, 2014 for the period until April 30, 2020.
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program, c/o Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada, Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West, London, Ontario, N6J 1Y5, (226) 636-0632, Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) (opens new window)
To learn more about the functional requirements and physical demands for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistance, visit the Government of Canada's (opens new window) website.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology, C or U
- Grade 11 or 12 Physics or Chemistry, C or U
- Volunteer experience is highly recommended in Physiotherapy and/or Occupational Therapy setting
- In addition to the successful completion of all admission requirements, all applicants to this program must complete a mandatory standardized Health Occupation Aptitude Examination (HOAE) as part of the selection process. There is a fee of $50.00 for this test.
- Accepted applicants under the age of 18 may not be permitted to participate in some courses due to legal restrictions such as the Mental Health Act
- Options are available for mature applicants
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter or continue in a clinical placement while in the program.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma program can lead to exciting career opportunities
Careers as Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants may involve the following:
Industries of Employment:
- Hospitals, Clinics
- Mental Health Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Children's Treatment Centres
- Private Practice
- Occupational Therapist Assistants (OTA)
- Physiotherapist Assistants (PTA)
- Combined OTA/PTA
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant (746)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.