Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant - 746
The Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Program at Mohawk College has been accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) (opens new window) in collaboration with Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC) (opens new window) and the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) (opens new window). The status of Accreditation was granted to the program on April 30, 214 for the period until April 30, 2020.
Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program, c/o Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada, Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West, London, Ontario, N6J 1Y5, (226) 636-0632, Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) (opens new window)
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
The OTA and PTA program at Mohawk has been accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) in collaboration with Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC) and the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT). The status of Accreditation was granted to the program on April 30, 2014 for the period until April 30, 2020. For more information contact otapta.ca (opens new window).
- Develop knowledge, skills and professional behaviour toward the delivery assigned of treatment to clients/patients with temporary or permanent health limitations in movement and daily function
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity, respect for self and others, and strong work ethics
- Experience a newly enhanced problem-based learning curriculum that uses an integrated OTA and PTA approach to reflect the role of the assistant in current practice
- Learn about the functional requirements and physical demands for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants (NOC 3237).
- Outcomes of the OTA and PTA Diploma Program meet the competencies outlined by the National Competency Profiles for
Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants, visit caot.ca and alliancept.org
- Clinical experience is provided in health care agencies throughout Ontario
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements.
All students will be required to act as simulated patients for their peers in skills course labs and during skills practice sessions.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology, C or U
- Grade 11 or 12 Physics or Chemistry, C or U
- Volunteer experience is highly recommended in Physiotherapy and/or Occupational Therapy setting
- In addition to the successful completion of all admission requirements, all applicants to this program must complete a mandatory standardized Health Occupation Aptitude Examination (HOAE) as part of the selection process. There is a fee of $50.00 for this test.
- Accepted applicants under the age of 18 may not be permitted to participate in some courses due to legal restrictions such as the Mental Health Act
Option are available for mature applicants.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply by February 1st.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma program can lead to exciting career opportunities
Careers as Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants may involve the following:
Industries of Employment:
- Hospitals, Clinics
- Mental Health Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Children's Treatment Centres
- Private Practice
- Occupational Therapist Assistants (OTA)
- Physiotherapist Assistants (PTA)
- Combined OTA/PTA
For degree (credit) transfer/ completion opportunities, visit mohawkcollege.ca/credittransfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant (746)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.