Utilities Systems Operator - 486
Mohawk's Utilities Systems Operator program has the highest overall student satisfaction of any comparable program in Ontario.
Students in the program will learn the operations and service of diverse equipment related to heating and cooling plants. They will have the opportunity to explore the techniques in operating steam/hot water boilers, gas/oil burners, air conditioning and refrigeration, turbines and generators.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
- Learn the operations and service of diverse equipment related to heating and cooling
- Explore the techniques in operating steam/hot water boilers, gas/oil burners, air conditioning and refrigeration, turbines and generators
- The program prepares participants for testing and certification by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority as an Oil Burner Technician 3 and a Gas Technician 3 and the eligibility to write four Water Operator-in-Training Certification Examinations through the Ministry of Environment. These include Waste Water, Water Collection, Water Treatment and Water Distribution
- Laboratory practice and work experience are components of the program. Optional training includes fluorocarbon refrigerant, ozone depletion training and certification and flexible gas pipe
- A student if eligible may obtain upwards of seven certificates
- The September intake has two six-week work terms, one in winter and one in summer
- The February intake provides for three consecutive summer months of experiential training
- Students of the February program have the option to consider Advanced Fuel training in the second and third semester of the Gas and Oil Burner Technician II program. These details will be provided at the time of the utilities in-class instruction
Prospective students and employers should visit the Technical Standards & Safety Authority (opens new window) for details regarding certification.
Applicants to the Utilities Systems Operator Certificate program must have the minimum requirements for admission
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Senior Mathematics recommended
Option are available for mature applicants.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Utilities Systems Operator Certificate program prepares students for long-lasting careers
Industries of Employment:
- Institutional Buildings
- Commercial Buildings
- Heavy Industry and Physical Plant settings
- HVAC Technicians
- Water/Waste Water Operators
- Operators of Facilities/Utilities
- Oil Burner Technicians
- Gas Burner Technicians
- Building Operator
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.