Biotechnology - 369 - 669
- Learn the fundamentals of pharmacology, biochemistry, genetics and genetic engineering, cell biology, microbiology, analytical instrumentation and biochemical engineering
- Explore scientific methods and experimental techniques, in accordance with accepted principles of quality assurance and manufacturing in the biotech industry
- Prepare for a future career working in one of the most rapidly expanding fields in Canada
- Obtain knowledge and skills in scientific methods and experimental techniques, using established principles of quality assurance and manufacturing
- Receive classroom instruction, combined with hands-on laboratory experience, to perform tasks in the following areas:
- DNA and protein absorption spectrophotometry
- Agarose gel DNA electrophoresis
- Ion exchange and thin layer chromatography
- SDS page
- Basic techniques in microbiology
- PCR analysis of DNA
- Micropipetting, extractions, titrations, centrifugation and pH measurements using GLP
Applicants to the Biotechnology Diploma program must have the minimum requirements for admission
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics, MAP4C ≥ 60%; or MCT4C; or any U or equivalent
- Senior Science (Chemistry, Biology or Physics) is recommended
Option are available for mature applicants.
Cooperative Internship Option
Students interested in the cooperative internship do not apply directly. Once enrolled in program 370 students can select the cooperative internship option.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) Pathway Information for Biotechnology and Biotechnology (Health) Graduates
Graduates of the Biotechnology and Biotechnology (Health) Programs are eligible to enter the Medical Laboratory Technician Program at Mohawk College, and receive exemptions for up to 4 of the 13 courses in this program. The Medical Laboratory Technician Program (047), is a one year Certificate program offered on a part time basis through Mohawk College Continuing Education, and is a joint Mohawk/Michener Institute Certificate. Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Technician Program are eligible to write both the National Certification Examination (CSMLS) and Provincial Certification Examination (OSMT).
For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
The Biotechnology Diploma program prepares students for long-lasting careers
Industries of Employment:
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Bioscience Laboratories (Public & Private)
- Genetic Engineering Companies
- Bioremediation Companies
- Agricultural Products
- Biofuel Companies
- Biotech Laboratory Technicians
- Biotech Production and Technical Sales Reps
- Biotech Research Assistants
- Graduates and final year students are immediately eligible to be registered as associate members of The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) upon submission of the Graduate Application form available through OACETT
- Additional requirements to become fully certified are the jurisdiction ofOACETT (opens new window).
- Graduates may be eligible to receive up to 8 transfer credits towards the Mohawk-McMaster Bachelor of Technology Degree in Biotechnology
- For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Biotechnology (369)
- Review the program learning outcomes for Biotechnology (669) - co-op
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.