Pre-Admission Mature Applicant Testing – Math and English
Pre-Admissions test(s) are used for applicants that do not meet or are missing the eligibility requirements for the program they have applied to. The applicant is mailed a “Missing Requirements – Mature” letter by Admissions which informs the applicant that they are missing required subjects. The admissions advisor assesses the applicant and determines if they may be eligible to write the Pre-Admission test(s) for the missing subjects (i.e., Math, Grade 12 English).
Step By Step Instructions:
- Once you receive your Missing Requirements notice, please contact your Admissions Advisor.
- If determined to be eligible, the Admissions Advisor will complete a referral and provide you with details for booking your test(s).
- Contact the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448 to book an appointment. Tests can only be booked by referrals, so please ensure you have contacted your Admissions Advisor prior to booking. All students with disabilities who require testing accommodations will be required to identify themselves when booking the test.
- Prepare for your test using the sample questions found below.
- On the day of your test, arrive 30-60 minutes early to ensure adequate time to park, locate the testing room and process payment.
- Provide the testing centre with photo identification and proof of payment (receipt provided to you by the Registration Centre).
- Write your test(s).
- Receive instructions on how to access your scores.
- English Test Sample Questions
- CLBPT Sample Questions (for ESL students)
- Grade 10 Math Test Sample Questions
- Grade 12 Business Math Test Sample Questions
- Grade 12 Technical Math Test Sample Questions
- Grade 12 Comprehensive Technical Math Sample Questions
If writing the Pre-Admissions English or Math test, there is a testing fee of $30. If writing both the English and Math test, there is a testing fee of $40. Payment can be made on the day of your test at the Registration Centre located in Student Services (“The Square”) on the main level of the C wing. Acceptable methods of payment are Cash, Money Order, Debit, Visa or MasterCard.
International Students: Please contact the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448 or visit Room A122 for information about testing fees.
English as Second Language Students: It is recommended that ESL Students write the Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT) in lieu of the English Test. Please contact the Applied Communications Centre at 905-575-1212 ext 3569 for further information including testing fees.
- In order to be eligible to write a pre-admissions test you must have applied through OCAS and paid your application fee otherwise your marks will not be available to your Admissions Advisor.
- The Pre-Admissions Test(s) may only be written once per year. There are no re-writes.
- If you are completing a Grade 12 Math Test, your math skills are being tested without the use of a calculator.
- Successful completion of the Pre-Admissions Test(s) does not guarantee you an offer of admission to a program at Mohawk College. Offers are based on you meeting the specific admission requirements of the program to which you have applied. Please contact your Admissions Advisor if you have any questions about the status of your application.
International Students ONLY
The International Department (located in Student Services – The Square) will determine if you are required to complete testing. You will be provided with a referral form to complete the necessary testing. Please bring your referral form to the Pre-Admission Testing Centre in room A122 or call 905-575-2448 to book an appointment.
Continuing Education Students ONLY
All Continuing Education students are required to contact their Program Coordinator/ Manager to determine if they meet the admission requirements for their program prior to booking an appointment. If you are missing required subjects, your Program Coordinator/Manager will verify which specific test(s) you need to complete. Once this has been verified, you may contact the Pre-Admission Testing Centre to book an appointment.
English as Second Language (ESL) Students
If English is your second language, you may complete your Mature Applicant English test through the Applied Communications Centre. They administer the Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT) which is structured for second language students. To book an appointment, please contact Melissa Topp at 905-575-1212 ext 3569. If you require a Math Test as well, you will still need to book this through the Pre-Admission Testing Centre. When booking your Math test appointment, be sure to advise the Pre-Admission Testing Officer that you are completing the CLBPT as well.