All materials from current projects will be posted here once they are published. Below are links to past publications, news releases, and similar resources.
Current Projects and Research
Finnie, R., Fricker, T., Bozkurt, E., Poirier, W., Pavlic, D., & Pratt, M. (2017). Academic Advising: Measuring the Effects of “Proactive” Interventions on Student Outcomes. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
Finnie, R., Fricker, T., Bozkurt, E., Poirier, W., & Pavlik, D. (2017). Using Predictive Modeling for Students At-Risk of Leaving College to Drive Early Alert & Intrusive Advising Interventions: Phase I Report. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
Finnie, R., Poirier, W., Bozkurt, E., Peterson, J., Fricker, T., & Pratt, M. (2017). Using Future Authoring to Improve Student Outcomes. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
Fricker, T. (2019, August 8). The Story Behind the College Student Success Innovation Centre at Mohawk College [Blog post]. Supporting Student Success.
Fricker, T., Gallo, M., Redmond, N., & Waddington, D. (2018, October). Measuring Success: Three Evidence-Based Advising Interventions - a 'How-To' and the Research Supporting Them. Paper presented at the Helping the Helper: Ontario Academic Advising Professionals 2018 Conference, Mississauga, ON.
Fricker, T., & Pratt, M. (2016, January 29). Predictive Modelling for Students At-Risk of Leaving College Early [Webinar]. Canadian Association of College and University Student Services.
Ingleton, P. (2018, October). Towards an Institutional Assessment Model: Re-Administering Post-Admission Assessments at Graduation to Measure Generic Skill Development in College Students. Paper presented at Educating for the Future: Learning Outcomes and Experiential Learning Symposium, Toronto, ON.
Turan, M. (2019, July 22). A View From the Other Side: One Faculty Member's Opportunity to View College from the Student Services' Lens [Blog post]. SA-Exchange.
Waddington, D. (May, 2019). Proactive Advising for At-Risk Students: Comparing a Predictive Model to Faculty Identification. College Quarterly, 22(2).
Waltenbury, M., Brady, S., Gallo, M., Redmond, N., Draper, S., & Fricker, T. (2018). Academic Probation: Evaluating the Impact of Academic Standing Notification Letters on Students. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
News, Posts, and Media Releases
- News (September 17, 2019): Second Annual Call for Partners Released
- News (August 15, 2019): Mohawk College Formally Signs Charter on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- News (August 9, 2019): Dean of Students Invited to Share the Story Behind the College Student Success Innovation Centre (CSSIC)
- News (July 30, 2019): Two New Research Articles from the College Student Success Innovation Centre (CSSIC) Featured in National Publications
- Media Release (July 3, 2019): New Centre for Student Success Earns National Recognition for Mohawk College
- News (June 11, 2019): IDEAWORKS Expo Celebrates Research and Student Accomplishments
- News (January 23, 2019): A Simple Intervention that Supports Future Success of Students on Academic Probation – New Research by Mohawk College
- Magazine Article (October 23, 2018): Becoming a Leader in Student Success
- News (August 15, 2018): Call for Ontario College Partners – Student Success Research Project
- News (June 15, 2018): Innovation Centre Leaders Interviewed on Cable 14
- News (June 4, 2018): Request for Proposals: Research and Data Analytics Partner
- News (June 1, 2018): CSSIC Profiled by National Student Affairs Website
- Media Release (May 03, 2018): Mohawk Opening New Research Centre to Help More Students Graduate from College
Independent Staff Work (Theses and Dissertations)
Drummond, H. (2014, November). Trait Emotional Intelligence and Academic Engagement: An Investigation of Non-Academic Factors Related to Student Engagement and Persistence (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from University of Toronto TSpace.
Fennell, J. (2016, April). Technology and Disability Identity: "Now You See Me, Now You Don't" (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from York University YorkSpace.
Redmond, N. S. (2017, August 21). An Exploration of Teacher and Student Perceptions of Classroom Assessment (Masters thesis). Retrieved from Brock University Digital Repository.
Contributions to Advising and Student Affairs Literature
Ellingham, S., Fernandez, D., & Fricker, T. (Fall 2016). CACUSS’ Integrated Academic and Professional Advising CoP Better Defining Advising in Canada. Communiqué. Canadian Association of College and University Student Services, 17(2), 18-20.
Fricker, T. (2019, January 10). Goals and Different Perspectives of Student Success [Blog post]. SA-Exchange.
Fricker, T. (Fall 2017). Components of a Canadian Student Services Research Agenda. Canadian Association of College and University Student Services Communiqué, 18(1), 27-31.
Fricker, T. (2016, April 18). Recommendations for OAAP, CACUSS and NACADA’s Canada Interest Group [Guest blog]. Ontario Academic Advising Professionals.
Fricker, T. (Fall 2015). The Relationship Between Academic Advising and Student Success in Canadian Colleges: A Review of the Literature. College Quarterly, 18(4).
Fricker, T. (2015, May 13). Increasing Persistence: Research-Based Strategies for College Student Success. [Review of the book by W. R. Habley, J. L. Bloom, & S. Robbins]. NACADA Journal, 35(1).
Fricker, T., Doyle, H., Ellingham, S., & Fernandez, D. (Winter 2016). Advising in Canada: Summary Survey Results. Canadian Association of College and University Student Services Communiqué, 17(1), 34-37.