Strengthening Mohawk’s leadership in social inclusion is a key priority in our College’s strategic plan. We believe in providing everyone who learns and works at Mohawk with an inclusive, welcoming and supportive environment. Moreover, the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce.
Mohawk is making progress on many fronts. In the spring of 2016, we launched an initiative to make our Mohawk and community even more welcoming to international students and newcomers. Our senior leadership team is required to complete an intercultural assessment while diversity and inclusion workshops have been offered to all employees.
We are now adopting five equity and social inclusion commitments to accelerate our progress and make Mohawk a leader among Ontario colleges and regional employers. The following commitments were developed after reviewing best practices and consulting internally:
- Attract and retain talent reflective of community. Mohawk will put processes and systems in place that remove barriers in all Human Resources policies and practices to ensure that Mohawk employees are representative of the diversity within the Hamilton community.
- Create an inclusive workplace. Mohawk will create an inclusive campus to ensure an open, accessible, equitable and safe environment for everyone.
- Strengthen inclusive competencies. Mohawk will provide professional development opportunities for employees to build their intercultural competencies that will advance individual and collective growth in cultural fluency.
- Develop and implement equity and inclusion framework. Mohawk will ensure that policies are reviewed and updated to identify and remove systemic barriers to participation and advancement of underrepresented groups utilizing an equity and inclusion lens.
- Expand use of universal design for learning and use of accessibility tools. Mohawk will enhance learning experiences through the adoption and use of Universal Design (UDL) for Learning principles and techniques. We will advance employees’ knowledge of creating accessible spaces and documents.
Each of our five equity and social inclusion commitments will have specific and measurable goals. Through the fall and winter terms, we will be compiling data on the diversity of our current workforce and reviewing Mohawk’s hiring and professional development policies, practices and procedures relative to these five commitments. This assessment will then inform plans to be implemented beginning next summer, with opportunities for everyone to get involved.
Mohawk’s equity and social inclusion commitments build on all that we have done to date in making our College an inclusive, welcoming and supportive environment for students, colleagues and visitors to campus. If you have any questions about Mohawk’s equity and social inclusion commitments, please contact Maxine Carter, Director and Special Advisor, Equity and Social Inclusion.
Our Equity and Social Inclusion Commitments
Ensuring an inclusive, welcoming and supportive environment for all.
Questions, suggestions or comments?
Please connect with Maxine Carter, Mohawk’s Director and Special Advisor for Equity and Social Inclusion at maxine.carter2 [at] mohawkcollege.ca or ext. 2255.