ALS Frequently Asked Questions

We're happy to answer any questions you might have

What do I do if I think I may need academic accommodations?

If you think that you may need academic accommodations, contact our office and our triage staff can help determine what services would assist you best. In order to receive academic accommodations you must first register with ALS. The registration link can be found here:

What should I expect from Mohawk College should I need accommodations?

As a students with either a permanent or temporary disability, ALS will work with you to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations in your program of study.

Please see Mohawk’s Academic Accommodations for Students with Disabilities Policy found here: downloads PDF: Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities Policy

When do I need to contact Accessible Learning Services to begin the accommodation process?

If you know or suspect that you may have a disability, contact triage as soon as possible. Accessibility Counsellors conduct intake appointments throughout the academic term for students as accommodation related needs may arise.

Keep in mind that many students will be registering/ re-registering at the beginning of each academic semesters and wait times may be longer than usual.

Can I receive academic accommodations if my disability is temporary?

Accessible Learning Services supports students with both permanent and temporary disabilities.

Please complete the registration process to schedule an appointment with one of our Accessibility Counsellors who will review your individual accommodation needs with you.

How does my Accessibility Counsellor determine my academic accommodations?

Your Accessibility Counsellor with review your documentation with you, and ask you to self-reflect on that impact of your disability and past learning experiences. Your Accessibility Counsellor works collaboratively with you to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations for your program of study based on this information.

Accommodations and need may change during the study period. You can book a follow up at any time in the semester to review your needs or make changes to your accommodations.

Do my professors know that I have an academic accommodation? Who informs them?

Your Accessibility Counsellor will send your accommodation plan to your Mohawk College email address. Once emailed, you will be responsible for emailing your accommodation plan to your professors.

If you require additional support to do so, your Accessibility Counsellor can assist you with this process, or will refer you to an Accessibility Support Officer.

What if I need accommodations while i'm doing fieldwork or placement?

If you know or suspect that you may require accommodations on field or clinical placement due to the nature of your disability, book an appointment with your Accessibility Counsellor who will review your documentation, accommodation needs and work collaboratively with you and your program area to develop an accommodation plan specific to your field or clinical placement.

Can I receive accommodations using my IEP?

An IEP can often be a good starting point to begin a conversation around your accommodation needs. While ALS does require documentation from a regulated healthcare practitioner, your Accessibility Counsellor will work with you to provide interim accommodations and guide you through the process of obtaining appropriate documentation if not currently available.

I had an IEP in high school. Does the IEP transfer automatically to Mohawk?

Your IEP does not transfer automatically from high school to college. You will need to contact Accessible Learning Services to register with us in order to receive academic accommodations.

If you would like to provide a copy of your IEP to ALS, you can request a copy directly from your high school.

Can my parents/ caregiver contact the Accessible Learning Services office?

ALS can share general information about our registration and accommodation process with parents and caregivers.

Due to our commitment to privacy and confidentiality, ALS cannot communication information specific to any student to parents and caregivers without signed written consent by the student.

What type of services and supports are available to me?

Academic Accommodations: Your Accessibility Counsellor can advise you about the appropriate academic accommodations based on a thorough evaluation of your documentation, learning needs, program of study and previous accommodations.

Assistive Technology: Our Assistive Technologist (AT) offers training on specific software and equipment to help support your learning. The AT will also facilitate alternative formats for texts, learning materials that you may need, and equipment loans.

Financial Assistance: If you are an incoming student with a permanent disability who are applying for OSAP funding are required to meet with the ALS department and provide the appropriate documentation to verify permanent disability.

Learning Strategies: A Learning Skills Advisor supports learning by helping students understand their learning strengths and weaknesses. They will help students develop skills and strategies to become more independent and successful learners.

Orientation: ALS hosts a one-day orientation in August called Begin Well, Do Well for students and parents/ caregivers coming to Mohawk College with disabilities. Workshops include: self-advocacy, a student panel, time management and technology.

Mohawk Testing Centre: This is an area, available at all campuses, where students can write their tests/exams and access accommodations such as supervised breaks, or use of a quiet room.

Workshops: Our Learning Strategist conducts workshops throughout the year to help you succeed in areas such as time management, planning and organization.

Peer Supports: Where required, ALS connects students registered with us with Peer Support Assistants to aid in the day-to-day activities while at the College.

Accessible Learning Lab (A122 Fennell):  The Accessible Learning Lab is a collaborative, quiet space where students can work using assistive technology. Workshops for students on assistive technology and learning skills are often held in this space.

Social Connect: Accessible Learning Services offers a weekly social engagement group for students with Autism.

What happens if I am in the process of getting a diagnosis/ obtaining documentation?

Our Accessibility Counsellor’s and Accessibility Support Officers can help you through the process of obtaining documentation should you need support.

While you are in the process of getting a diagnosis or obtaining documentation, you may be eligible for interim accommodations.

Please register with ALS in order to schedule an appointment.

Who will have access to my personal information?

Please review our confidentiality statement on the ALS Confidential Intake Form to understand our limitations of confidentiality. Your Accessibility Counsellor will also review this with you during your intake appointment.

What information will I be asked to provide?

As part of our registration process you will be asked to complete our intake form and provide documentation provided by a regulated healthcare professional confirming your disability and functional limitations.

How is my personal information protected?

Your personal information is protected by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA, 1990) and by the Personal Information Protection Act (PHIPA, 2004). All Ontario post-secondary institutions must comply with FIPPA and PHIPA which contains rules and regulations related to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information designed to protect your security and privacy.

What type of academic accommodations might be available to me?

Potential in-class, test/ exam and other accommodations. Your academic accommodation(s) will be based on functional limitations you may experience in the academic environment. Typical accommodations include: extra time to complete exams, an alternative location to write a test (e.g. quiet space, access to a computer with assistive technology), notetaking support, etc.

What do I do if my professor has questions or concerns about my accommodations?

Contact your Accessibility Counsellor immediately if you are having problems accessing your accommodations.  In rare circumstances, an accommodation may conflict with a learning outcome of a course. Your Accessibility Counsellor will work collaboratively with you and your professor to address the question or concern and to determine how an accommodation can help you meet the learning outcomes of a course.

What do I do if I miss an exam or test?

Contact your Accessibility Counsellor and your professor. You may be able to write a make-up test/ exam if you missed one or more tests/exams due to the nature of your disability.

What if I need to reduce my course load, or take time off from my studies due to my disability?

Contact your Accessibility Counsellor and Student Success Advisor. You may be eligible for a medical withdrawal, or reduced course load. Your Accessibility Counsellor will work with you and your program area to determine an academic plan that will support your accommodation needs.

Additional medical documentation may be required if considering a medical withdrawal or reduced course load. Your Accessibility Counsellor will work with you to determine how to support such accommodation.

If you have any additional questions feel free to email: als [at]