Business Analysis - 334
|Program Length||~ 2 - 4 years (click here for annual course schedule)|
|Cost||~$450 per course + textbooks|
|Intakes||Fall, Winter, Spring|
|Application Process||Students must apply and be accepted prior to registering|
About this Program
Learning is focused on alignment of business processes across functions and enterprises, and how those processes relate to the organization from a strategic, tactical and financial perspective. The courses in the Business Analysis program include Technology Tools and Database Fundamentals and Reporting, so that students can begin to appreciate the complexities of information technology. Critical-thinking skills, with a focus on process evaluation, will be developed in the core Business Analysis program through courses such as Requirements Analysis, Solutions Assessment, Project Management and Planning and Monitoring. Overlaying the methodologies for information technology and business training will be courses on Project Management, Negotiation, Facilitation and Lean Six Sigma.
Continuing Education at Mohawk
Students can take just one or as many courses in the Program of Studies as they would like. If students complete all required courses from the Program of Studies, they can apply for the certificate. Visit Continuing Education for further information on our programs. For information on credentials and how they differ from one another visit Continuing Education Credentials.
With Continuing Education, each course is priced individually and students only pay for the course(s) they choose to register for. For financial assistance related inquiries please click here or contact 1-844-767-6871. Keep in mind, course prices do not include textbook fees. Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks
Students can access up to three hours of FREE peer tutoring per week of additional academic support, from a student who has successfully completed the course. For more information, click here.
Our Accessible Learning Services Counsellors, Accessibility Support Officers, and Learning Skills Advisor/Adaptive Technologist work with students with disabilities to develop a personalized program of services and academic accommodations. For more information, click here.
Find out about library computers available and how to borrow laptops and Chromebooks. For more information, click here.
- Develop new or improved innovative business processes from gap analysis through process design in support of a company's strategic objectives in a socially responsible manner.
- Utilize effective and established research, documentation methods, and business improvement procedures in order to develop and document business processes and business models according to established timelines and project goals.
- Plan, manage, and facilitate the requirements gathering activities throughout the requirements process for changes to a business system, including analysis of the interdependence between financial and operational metrics.
- Develop strategies to bridge gaps between requirements and existing systems using appropriate methods, tools, techniques and documentation in accordance with standard business practices.
- Use a project management approach to communicate technical and business information to a variety of stakeholders, including technical and business stakeholders.
- Collaborate, network and communicate with various stakeholders in an ethical manner by applying negotiation and problem-solving skills in order to evaluate and align business processes and business models with the strategic objectives of the organization.
Admission & Registration
- Prior approval for this certificate is necessary.
- University degree or college diploma (two year or longer) including most Business programs, Computer Science, or Humanities and Social Sciences OR an acceptable combination of related work experience and postsecondary education (as determined by the college).
- Please complete the application page and include either a copy of online course marks or a digital transcript to receive a conditional offer.
- Original, official transcripts (in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution) must be submitted in order to receive an official, and final, offer for the program.
- Applicants declaring permanent resident or Convention Refugee status in Canada, must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (PR card) along with their application.
- All applicants submitting international transcripts must also provide an official and sealed credential evaluation report. This can be coordinated through any of the following:
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) (opens new window)
- University of Toronto Comparative Education Service (CES) (opens new window)
- World Education Services (WES) (opens new window)
- An official English Language Proficiency score report outlining a minimum grade of 7 in all components.
- Other information or documents may be requested to determine your eligibility.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2018/19 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Business.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
Click on the course number below to check current availability and for registration information
|Course Number||Course Name||Course Description|
|BUSN10127||Requirements Analysis||Analyze stakeholder needs to determine essential requirements of a business process or performance activity. Use a prescribed modeling approach to describe data, functions, locations, people and organizations, timing constraints and the enterprise's objectives and constraints. Adapt the scope of the requirements to meet the organizations' approach and prepare documentation that clearly outlines essential requirements of the business process or performance activity. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10140||Enterprise Analysis and Planning||The foundation of Business Analysis is planning, stakeholder analysis, and structure and cultural awareness of an enterprise or business entity. Prepare for Business Analysis projects through needs analysis and business plan development using industry standard strategies such as project charter, interview and focus group techniques. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10160||Quality Assurance Methodologies||Examine various approaches and methodologies used for quality assurance. Outline the history of quality, factors which affect quality, quality inspection and verification. Analyze different approaches to quality assurance, and select optimal solutions for different situations and projects. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10161||Professional Development and Networking Skills||Demonstrate Professional Networking skills essential to success in any industry. Discover tools and techniques used within Fortune 500 Companies to enhance the impact and delivery when communicating with peers, colleagues, and other professionals in industry. Develop strategies for life long learning and professional development. 56 hours.|
|COMP10178||Project Management Applications||Apply project management skills through preparation of comprehensive projects. Use productivity tools such as Microsoft Project software to manage the projects. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10131||Requirements Management and Communication||Apply the requirements management plan developed during planning of the business analysis project. The key objectives of the plan are: requirements traceability management, scope management, and preparation and renewal of requirements packages to facilitate communication with various stakeholders. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10132||Solution Assessment and Validation||Assess the appropriateness of the solution design in terms of alignment and quality based on the requirements analysis. Examine and utilize the tools and techniques that a business analyst administers to ensure that the solution meets the users’ needs. Prepare appropriate documentation for the project manager and organizational leads to make informed decisions about the value of the proposed solution. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10135||Business Analytics and Intelligence||Utilize industry standard tools and formalized techniques to transform raw data into meaningful information. Prepare reports and data visualizations based on the manipulation of data from a variety of sources. Make effective business decisions and recommendations that align with strategic priorities, project requirements, and stakeholder expectations. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10136||Negotiation, Facilitation, and Communication||Participate in the development and sustainability of high-performance, self-directed projects through effective negotiation, facilitation and communication skills. Explore individual personality "types" and capitalize on a strengths-based approach to business analysis. 42 hours.|
|BUSN10139||Database Design and Management||Participate in the development and sustainability of high-performance, self-directed projects through effective negotiation, facilitation and communication skills. Explore individual personality "types" and capitalize on a strengths-based approach to business analysis. 42 hours.|
|WORK10592||Experiential Learning Opportunity||
Participate in real world learning experiences through a variety of experiential learning opportunities such as field placement, industry projects, and/or business case simulations. Apply knowledge and skills gained in academic studies to enhance skills and to establish or refine professional and personal development goals in an experiential learning environment that ensures access to leading industry practice. 245 hours.
Please note you must apply and be accepted into this program before registering for courses. Please see "Admission and Registration" tab for more information and to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Participate in real-world learning experiences through a variety of experiential learning opportunities such as field placement, industry projects and/or business case simulations.
- Apply knowledge and skills gained in academic studies to enhance skills and to establish or refine professional and personal development goals in an experiential learning environment that ensures access to leading industry practice.
Pathways and Credit Transfer
View our pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
- Business Analysts
- Business Process Analysts
- Change Management Specialist
- Project Manager