Integrated Accounting - 099
Accounting is fundamental to any successful business! Learn the basics of applied accounting and bookkeeping, along with key skills to help you effectively manage the finances in your own small business, bookkeeping practice or other ventures.
Computer software has significantly changed accounting practices by standardizing processes and procedures for recording and communicating financial information. Through a combination of accounting theory and practical application, this program focuses on developing foundational skills and then moves into mastering integrated accounting software, including QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Excel, Sage 50, cloud-accounting software and more.
This certificate has both in-class and online courses.
You do not need to apply to begin this program, simply ensure you meet the admission requirements (listed on the Admissions & Registration tab).
Interested in taking a single course? No problem. Provided you have the appropriate prerequisites, these courses can be taken individually or as part of the full program.
With Continuing Education, each course is priced individually and students only pay for the course(s) they choose to register for. For financial assistance related inquiries please click here or contact 1-844-767-6871. Keep in mind, course prices do not include textbook fees. Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks
Students can access up to three hours of FREE peer tutoring per week of additional academic support, from a student who has successfully completed the course. For more information, click here.
Our Accessible Learning Services Counsellors, Accessibility Support Officers, and Learning Skills Advisor/Adaptive Technologist work with students with disabilities to develop a personalized program of services and academic accommodations. For more information, click here.
Find out about library computers available and how to borrow laptops and Chromebooks. For more information, click here.
- Some courses are offered in the classroom and all courses are offered online, providing the opportunity to combine traditional classroom learning with self-paced study.
- The Quickbooks and Sage 50 software come with the required course textbooks.
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Depending on the course, instructors will assume that students have prior knowledge and experience with software and bookkeeping principles. This required knowledge and experience could be obtained through work experience, personal study, or our formal courses.
If you do not have an adequate level of computer literacy upon entry to the program, you are strongly urged to complete Introduction to Computers (COMP10136) before beginning any course.
If you do not have an accounting background or experience we recommend you complete the three levels of Applied Accounting-Bookkeeping prior to registering for the other computerized accounting courses.
- ERP stands for Enterprise Resource Planning.
- Sage 50 Accounting 2016 (formerly Simply Accounting) (software included with course textbook)
- Excel – Office 2013 and 2016
- QuickBooks – Desktop 2015 (Software included with textbook)
How to Register:
Click on the Program of Studies page to view all courses and to register online for the available courses this term or for more registration information click here.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2019/20 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Interdisciplinary, Creative, Media and Business
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|Register||ACCTBZ018||Applied Accounting Bookkeeping 1||36.00|
|Register||ACCTBZ019||Applied Accounting Bookkeeping 2||36.00|
|Register||ACCTBZ020||Applied Accounting Bookkeeping 3||36.00|
Select 2 from the next 3 courses
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|Register||INFO10201||Sage 50 Accounting||42.00|
The list of scheduled course offerings for this program is below. Please note that all offerings are subject to change.
|Program Length||Approximately 12 - 28 months|
|Cost||~$400 per course + textbooks|
|Intakes||Fall, Winter, Spring|
|Application Process||Students can register for course without applying to the program|
|Course Load||5 to 10 hours per week, per course|
The Applied Accounting - Bookkeeping courses (1, 2 and 3) must be taken in order. We recommend you take these 3 courses prior to completing the other courses in the program.
|Course Code||Course Name||Fall
(Sep to Dec)
(Jan to Apr)
(May to Aug)
|ACCTBZ018||Applied Accounting-Bookkeeping 1||
|ACCTBZ019||Applied Accounting-Bookkeeping 2||
|ACCTBZ020||Applied Accounting-Bookkeeping 3||
|INFO10201||Sage 50 Accounting||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn|
Zoom is online software used within E-Learn (purchase not required) that allows students to interact with their instructors face-to-face online
- Interaction can be in the form of asking questions, troubleshooting assignments, and / or getting to know one another at a more personable level.
- These zoom sessions last about one hour, and they are generally done once a week during a weekday evening.
- Attending these sessions is optional and they are recorded so students can view them whenever convenient
Frequently Asked Questions
- Analyze, evaluate, and apply relevant information from a variety of sources.
- Apply a systematic approach to solve problems.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and correctly in the written, spoken, and visual form that fulfills the purpose and meets the needs of the audience.
- Locate, select, organize, and document information using appropriate technology and information systems.
- Manage the use of time and other resources to complete projects.
- Respond to written, spoken, or visual messages in a manner that ensures effective communication.
- Show respect for the diverse opinions, values, belief systems, and contributions of others.
- Take responsibility of one's own actions, decisions, and consequences.
- Use a variety of thinking skills to anticipate and solve problems.
*This information can be helpful for your resume or for interview talking points in this field.
Enhance your understanding of computerized accounting and its effect on accounting practices.
- Excel: allows you to build a budget and maintain financial documents.
- QuickBooks: allows you to keep track of invoices, purchase orders, cash account, payroll, and more.
- Sage 50 Accounting (formerly Simply Accounting): allows you to keep track of invoices, purchase orders, cash account, payroll, and more.
Industries of Employment:
Graduates of the Integrated Accounting Certificate can provide accounting/bookkeeping support for Canadian companies from all sectors.
With regards to the three bookkeeping courses:
In-Class for a full semester
- Traditional classroom delivery.
- All three levels of students are in the classroom together and the instructor teaches and helps each level.
- This option is ideal for learners who perform best when taught in person.
- You would complete one level per semester so you could finish the three levels within 3 semesters.
7-week online course
- Each week a new module is made available indicating what you need to review for that week.
- Assignment deadlines are assigned at the beginning of the course and must be adhered to.
- This option is ideal for students who are not able to come in person, or like the flexibility of online, but still need assistance and structure.
- Since you would complete each level in 7 weeks, you have the option to complete two levels of the Applied Accounting courses in one semester.
The difference between QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop is:
QuickBooks Online (QBO) is a cloud-based accounting software program. Learn the difference between QuickBooks Pro and QBO before utilizing program features. Explore and apply key features, including: tracking and communicating customers, invoicing, supplier management, profitability analysis, payroll, HST management and reporting. Additionally, a 3rd party application integration will be explored.
QuickBooks Desktop focuses on your small to mid-size business needs. Includes vendors, customers, employees, reports and various transactions. Software is included with the text. Prerequisite: Knowledge of basic accounting and Windows.
Discover QuickBooks Online
Get the experience you need
QuickBooks Online offers the most advanced technology when it comes to accounting and bookkeeping
- 7 out of 10 new QuickBooks users are choosing QuickBooks Online over the desktop version
- In 5 years, global users have increased from 380,000 to over 2,380,000
Help get the job that you want or sharpen your skills for when your clients move online