Integrated Accounting - 099
Accounting is fundamental to any successful business! Learn the basics of applied accounting and bookkeeping, along with key skills to help you effectively manage the finances in your own small business, bookkeeping practice or other ventures.
Computer software has significantly changed accounting practices by standardizing processes and procedures for recording and communicating financial information. Through a combination of accounting theory and practical application, this program focuses on developing foundational skills and then moves into mastering integrated accounting software, including QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Excel, Sage 50, cloud-accounting software and more.
You do not need to apply to begin this program, simply ensure you meet the admission requirements (listed on the Admissions & Registration tab) and then you may register for any available courses.
View courses available this term under Program of Studies.
- Some courses are offered in the classroom and all courses are offered online, providing the opportunity to combine traditional classroom learning with self-paced study.
- The Quickbooks and Sage 50 software come with the required course textbooks.
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Depending on the course, instructors will assume that students have prior knowledge and experience with software and bookkeeping principles. This required knowledge and experience could be obtained through work experience, personal study, or our formal courses.
If you do not have an adequate level of computer literacy upon entry to the program, you are strongly urged to complete Introduction to Computers (COMP10136) before beginning any course.
If you do not have an accounting background or experience we recommend you complete the three levels of Accounting - Bookkeeping prior to registering for the other computerized accounting courses.
- ERP stands for Enterprise Resource Planning.
- Sage 50 Accounting 2016 (formerly Simply Accounting) (software included with course textbook)
- Excel – Office 2013 and 2016
- QuickBooks – Desktop 2015 (Software included with textbook)
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the current academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Interdisciplinary, Creative, Media and Business
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|Register||ACCTBZ018||Accounting Bookkeeping 1||36.00|
|Register||ACCTBZ019||Accounting Bookkeeping 2||36.00|
|Register||ACCTBZ020||Accounting Bookkeeping 3||36.00|
|N/A||INFO10201||Sage 50 Accounting||42.00|
|Program Length||Approximately 12 - 28 months|
|Cost||~$400 per course + textbooks|
|Intakes||Fall, Winter, Spring|
|Application Process||Students can register for courses without applying to the program. View Admission & Registration tab for details.|
|Course Load||5 to 10 hours per week, per course|
The list of scheduled course offerings for this program is below. Please note that all offerings are subject to change. Not every course is offered every semester, so please consider this schedule when planning your academic path.
The Accounting - Bookkeeping courses (1, 2 and 3) must be taken in order; it is recommended you take these 3 courses prior to completing the other courses in the program.
|Course Code||Course Name||Fall
(Sep to Dec)
(Jan to Apr)
(May to Aug)
|ACCTBZ018||Accounting - Bookkeeping 1||
|ACCTBZ019||Accounting - Bookkeeping 2||
|ACCTBZ020||Accounting - Bookkeeping 3||
|INFO10159||QuickBooks - Desktop||MyCanvas||MyCanvas||MyCanvas|
|INFO10201||Sage 50 Accounting||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn|
Visit CE Get Started, your go-to online resource for getting started. You’ll find information on online tools and the wide range of student services available to you to support your success as a Mohawk College student and to help you achieve your future goals!
Login to MyMohawk
MyMohawk is the college portal used to access your student account information, email, grades and more. Your username and password can be found on the Continuing Education Acknowledgement of Registration & Student Account form that was sent to you after you registered for your course. Visit the Getting Started - MyMohawk Guide for step-by-step instructions.
Access Mohawk Email
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to Mohawk email. Visit the Getting Started – Mohawk Email Guide to learn how to set up your account on your devices.
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to MyCanvas, Mohawk College’s Learning Management System. Visit the Getting Started - MyCanvas for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Visit www.ontariolearn.com to access your course. Visit the OntarioLearn Course page for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in OntarioLearn until the scheduled start date.
Find your Textbook
Use the Mohawk College Textbook Search to find your course materials.
Explore Contacts and Services
Online learning courses provide you with the opportunity to learn online, anywhere, at your convenience! You can study at home or at work - wherever you like, whenever you like, within a predetermined time frame.
Courses are delivered over a set time period and are led by instructors. Most courses do not require that you be online at a certain time of day or night, but that you are active in the course during the schedule. There are scheduled start and end dates and you cannot start courses late nor finish early.
Visit the MyCanvas Course page for registration information and a step-by-step guide to get started. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Visit the OntarioLearn Course page to discover how to get started on OntarioLearn. Please note your course will not appear in OntarioLearn until the scheduled start date.
Visit Exams for Online Courses for everything you need to know about booking and writing your online learning exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Analyze, evaluate, and apply relevant information from a variety of sources.
- Apply a systematic approach to solve problems.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and correctly in the written, spoken, and visual form that fulfills the purpose and meets the needs of the audience.
- Locate, select, organize, and document information using appropriate technology and information systems.
- Manage the use of time and other resources to complete projects.
- Respond to written, spoken, or visual messages in a manner that ensures effective communication.
- Show respect for the diverse opinions, values, belief systems, and contributions of others.
- Take responsibility of one's own actions, decisions, and consequences.
- Use a variety of thinking skills to anticipate and solve problems.
*This information can be helpful for your resume or for interview talking points in this field.
Enhance your understanding of computerized accounting and its effect on accounting practices.
- Excel: allows you to build a budget and maintain financial documents.
- QuickBooks: allows you to keep track of invoices, purchase orders, cash account, payroll, and more.
- Sage 50 Accounting (formerly Simply Accounting): allows you to keep track of invoices, purchase orders, cash account, payroll, and more.
Graduates of the Integrated Accounting Certificate can provide accounting/bookkeeping support for Canadian companies from all sectors.
For more details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, see the Government of Canada website: www.jobbank.gc.ca/home
Accounting - Bookkeeping Courses
In-Class for a Full Semester
- Traditional classroom delivery.
- All three levels of students are in the classroom together and the instructor teaches and helps each level.
- This option is ideal for learners who perform best when taught in person.
- You would complete one level per semester so you could finish the three levels within 3 semesters.
7-week Online Course
- Each week a new module is made available indicating what you need to review for that week.
- Assignment deadlines are assigned at the beginning of the course and must be adhered to.
- This option is ideal for students who are not able to come in person, or like the flexibility of online, but still need assistance and structure.
- Since you would complete each level in 7 weeks, you have the option to complete two levels of the Accounting courses in one semester.
QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks Online (QBO) is a cloud-based accounting software program. Learn the difference between QuickBooks Pro and QBO before utilizing program features. Explore and apply key features, including: tracking and communicating customers, invoicing, supplier management, profitability analysis, payroll, HST management and reporting. Additionally, a 3rd party application integration will be explored.
QuickBooks Desktop focuses on your small to mid-size business needs. Includes vendors, customers, employees, reports and various transactions. Software is included with the text. Prerequisite: Knowledge of basic accounting and Windows.
Discover QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online offers the most advanced technology when it comes to accounting and bookkeeping
- 7 out of 10 new QuickBooks users are choosing QuickBooks Online over the desktop version
- In 5 years, global users have increased from 380,000 to over 2,380,000