Competence in the French Language - 829
Discover the French language. Develop practical written and conversation skills for work or personal enjoyment. This program offers exposure to the French language for individuals who are:
- Working in a bilingual milieu
- Seeking a career involving the French language
- Wish to develop their conversation skills
Develop practical skills through in class discussions, group work, language lab exercises and grammar theory.
- Be able to communicate orally and in writing in French
- Become fluent in French oral communication
- You will be able to efficiently write grammatically correct
- You will be able to read and discuss French articles from newspapers and magazines
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2019/20 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Interdisciplinary, Creative, Media and Business
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
French delivered online
- French 1 - LANG10061 is equivalent to LANGFR003
- French 2 - LANG10062 is equivalent to LANGFR004
- French 3 - LANG10063 is equivalent to LANGFR005
- French 4 - LANG10064 is equivalent to LANGFR006
- French 5 - LANG10065 is equivalent to LANGFR007
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|Register||LANGFR003||La Pratique du Francais 1||39.00|
|Register||LANGFR004||La Pratique du Francais 2||39.00|
|Register||LANGFR005||La Pratique du Francais 3||39.00|
|Register||LANGFR006||La Pratique du Francais 4||39.00|
|Register||LANGFR007||La Pratique du Francais 5||39.00|
|Register||LANGFS032||Parlons Francais 1||39.00|
|Register||LANGFS033||Parlons Francais 2||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFS071||Parlons Francais 3||39.00|
Learn to communicate in French for careers which require a second language or specifically French. Enhance your personal abilities to communicate in the French Language.
Contact Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) (opens new window) at 905-575-2395 to register. A minimum of one week's notice is required.
- You can challenge up to 75% of the courses for the Certificate.
- Written tests (LANGFR003, LANGFR004, LANGFR005 and LANGFR006): You may obtain up to 4 credits with these testes which measure competence in grammar
- Oral tests (LANGFS032, LANGFR033): You may obtain up to 2 credits with these tests which measure conversational competence.
- A non-refundable fee will be charged
- Exams are to be arranged during the semester