Competence in the French Language - 829
Discover the French language. Develop practical written and conversation skills for work or personal enjoyment. This program offers exposure to the French language for individuals who are:
- Working in a bilingual milieu
- Seeking a career involving the French language
- Wish to develop their conversation skills
Develop practical skills through in class discussions, group work, language lab exercises and grammar theory.
View courses available this term under Program of Studies.
You do not need to apply to begin this program, simply ensure you meet the admission requirements (listed on the Admissions & Registration tab) and then you may register for any available courses.
- Be able to communicate orally and in writing in French
- Become fluent in French oral communication
- You will be able to efficiently write grammatically correct
- You will be able to read and discuss French articles from newspapers and magazines
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the current academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Interdisciplinary, Creative, Media and Business
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
Courses in this program are currently offered via OntarioLearn equivalency:
- LANG10061 French 1 is equivalent to LANGFR003 La Pratique du Francais 1
- LANG10062 French 2 is equivalent to LANGFR004 La Pratique du Francais 2
- LANG10063 French 3 is equivalent to LANGFR005 La Pratique du Francais 3
- LANG10064 French 4 is equivalent to LANGFR006 La Pratique du Francais 4
- LANG10065 French 5 is equivalent to LANGFR007 La Pratique du Francais 5
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||LANGFR003||La Pratique du Francais 1||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFR004||La Pratique du Francais 2||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFR005||La Pratique du Francais 3||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFR006||La Pratique du Francais 4||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFR007||La Pratique du Francais 5||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFS032||Parlons Francais 1||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFS033||Parlons Francais 2||39.00|
|N/A||LANGFS071||Parlons Francais 3||39.00|
Visit CE Get Started, your go-to online resource for getting started. You’ll find information on online tools and the wide range of student services available to you to support your success as a Mohawk College student and to help you achieve your future goals!
Login to MyMohawk
MyMohawk is the college portal used to access your student account information, email, grades and more. Your username and password can be found on the Continuing Education Acknowledgement of Registration & Student Account form that was sent to you after you registered for your course. Visit the Getting Started - MyMohawk Guide for step-by-step instructions.
Access Mohawk Email
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to Mohawk email. Visit the Getting Started – Mohawk Email Guide to learn how to set up your account on your devices.
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to MyCanvas, Mohawk College’s Learning Management System. Visit the Getting Started - MyCanvas for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Visit www.ontariolearn.com to access your course. Visit the OntarioLearn Course page for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in OntarioLearn until the scheduled start date.
Find your Textbook
Use the Mohawk College Textbook Search to find your course materials.
Explore Contacts and Services
Online learning courses provide you with the opportunity to learn online, anywhere, at your convenience! You can study at home or at work - wherever you like, whenever you like, within a predetermined time frame.
Courses are delivered over a set time period and are led by instructors. Most courses do not require that you be online at a certain time of day or night, but that you are active in the course during the schedule. There are scheduled start and end dates and you cannot start courses late nor finish early.
Visit the OntarioLearn Course page to discover how to get started on OntarioLearn. Please note your course will not appear in OntarioLearn until the scheduled start date.
Visit Exams for Online Courses for everything you need to know about booking and writing your online learning exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn to communicate in French for careers which require a second language or specifically French.
Already have experience with the French Language? If you think that you are eligible for placement into a higher level, you should register for the appropriate exam.
Contact Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) (opens new window) at plar [at] mohawkcollege.ca.
- You can challenge up to 75% of the courses for the Certificate.
- Written tests (LANGFR003, LANGFR004, LANGFR005 and LANGFR006): You may obtain up to 4 credits with these testes which measure competence in grammar.
- Oral tests (LANGFS032, LANGFR033): You may obtain up to 2 credits with these tests which measure conversational competence.
- A non-refundable fee will be charged.
- Exams are to be arranged during the semester.