Career Consultant Certificate - 076
Career development has become a unique specialty that continues to evolve alongside economic and labour market changes. This program will interest individuals with experience in career development who wish to enhance their skills, and those in human service areas wishing to add these competencies to their employment profile. If you currently work in Education, Human Resources, Social Services, and Career Information Centres, Recruitment Firms, Employment Agencies, Rehabilitation and Multicultural Settings, you should find this program valuable.
The Career Development Measurement and Assessment course (CREDCAR06) provides you with the credentials required to purchase assessments such as the Strong Interest Inventory, which is an assessment frequently used by practitioners in Ontario. Other assessments you will be able to purchase upon completion of this course are Aptitude, Ability, and Interest Assessments. You will be instructed in your course on how to purchase these assessments after successful completion of CREDCAR06.
Interested in taking a single course? No problem. Provided you have the appropriate prerequisites, these courses can be taken individually or as part of the full program.
Gabriela teaches both Career Development Resources and Theories of Career Development in the Career Consultant Certificate program. Gabriela has been working in education for over twenty-five years, and has over twenty years of experience in employment counseling. When she isn’t teaching, Gabriela currently works at Community Employment Services. Gabriela has both her Masters in Business Administration and her Masters in Education, as well as a Career Consultant Certificate, Counseling Certificate and is a True Color Certified Trainer.
Heather is an energetic career development practitioner with over 13 years of experience in the not-for-profit and post-secondary institutions. Heather has experience with career counselling, job development and advising students on academic opportunities including graduate school and career paths. She has been teaching course for the Career Consultant Certificate course for the past four years and has assisted with course development and revisions. Heather enjoys utilizing adult learning principles in all of her classroom sessions and loves learning from her students! She has completed a Bachelor Degree from McMaster University and Career and Work Counsellor Diploma. She is also a certified Career Development Practitioner in the province of Ontario.
- Zoom is online software used within E-Learn (purchase not required) that allows students to interact with their instructors face-to-face online
- Interaction can be in the form of asking questions, troubleshooting assignments, and / or getting to know one another at a more personable level.
- These zoom sessions last about one hour, and they are generally done once a week during a weekday evening.
- Attending these sessions is optional and they are recorded so students can view them whenever convenient
With Continuing Education, each course is priced individually and students only pay for the course(s) they choose to register for. For financial assistance related inquiries please click here or contact 1-844-767-6871. Keep in mind, course prices do not include textbook fees. Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
Students can access up to three hours of FREE peer tutoring per week of additional academic support, from a student who has successfully completed the course. For more information, click here.
Our Accessible Learning Services Counsellors, Accessibility Support Officers, and Learning Skills Advisor/Adaptive Technologist work with students with disabilities to develop a personalized program of services and academic accommodations. For more information, click here.
Find out about library computers available and how to borrow laptops and Chromebooks. For more information, click here.
- Learn about the Labour Market and National Occupational Codes
- Develop your counseling skills to assist individuals to achieve their dream jobs or careers
- Discover career development and digital resources to enhance your referrals
- Build your tools and techniques in resume development and career counseling
- Enhance your proficiencies and practice your individual and group facilitation skills
- Learn new measurement and assessment tools
The list of scheduled course offerings for this program is below. Please note that all offerings are subject to change. Not every course is offered every semester, so please consider this schedule when planning your academic path.
|Program Length||Approximately 2 years|
|Cost||~$350 per course + textbooks|
|Intakes||Fall, Winter, Spring|
|Application Process||Students must apply and be accepted prior to registering. Visit the Admission & Registration tab for details.|
Courses may be taken in any order.
|Course Code||Course Name||Fall
(Sep - Dec)
(Jan - Apr)
(May - Aug)
|CRED10100||Ethics in Career Consulting||eLearn|
|CREDCAR01||Theories of Career Development||eLearn|
|CREDCAR02||Career Development Resources||eLearn|
|CREDCAR03||Work Search Tools and Techniques||eLearn|
|CREDCAR04||Individual Helping Relationship||eLearn|
|CREDCAR05||Group Facilitation Skills||eLearn|
|CREDCAR06||Career Development Measurement and Assessment||eLearn|
|CREDCAR07||Socio Economic Change and Response||eLearn|
|CREDCAR08||Diversity in the Workplace||eLearn|
Admission & Registration
- A degree or diploma in a related area is recommended.
- You must be accepted into the program to be able to register for courses.
- Please complete the application page and include either a copy of online course marks or a digital transcript to receive a conditional offer.
- Original, official transcripts (in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution) must be submitted in order to receive an official, and final, offer for the program.
- Applicants declaring permanent resident or Convention Refugee status in Canada, must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (PR card) along with their application.
- All applicants submitting international transcripts must also provide an official and sealed credential evaluation report. This can be coordinated through any of the following:
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) (opens new window)
- University of Toronto Comparative Education Service (CES) (opens new window)
- World Education Services (WES) (opens new window)
- An official English Language Proficiency score report outlining a minimum grade of 7 in all components.
- Other information or documents may be requested to determine your eligibility.
Pathways and Credit Transfer
View our pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
Industries of Employment:
- Employment Ontario Services Providers/Agencies
- Human Resource departments
- Counselling or career counselling professions
- Educational institutions
- Recruitment firms
- Social services organizations
- Employment agencies
- WSIB and Rehabilitation services
Did you know?
- In Ontario, 71% of Career Service Professionals make $40,001 - $85,000 (link)
- Career Service Professionals with college certificates are on the rise (link)
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2018/19 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Community Services.
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||CRED10100||Ethics in Career Consulting||14.00|
|Register||CREDCAR01||Theories Of Career Development||42.00|
|Register||CREDCAR02||Career Development Resources||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR03||Work Search Tools and Techniques||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR04||Individual Helping Relationships||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR05||Group Facilitation Skills||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR06||Career Development Measurement And Assessment||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR07||Socio Economic Change And Response||42.00|
|Register||CREDCAR08||Diversity In The Workplace||42.00|
- Develop awareness of yourself, gain greater insight into who you are and experience personal growth
- Discover how Career Consultants/Practitioners facilitate positive changes in the lives of others
- Learn to understand the needs of the labour market and how to direct individuals to find employment that matches their skills and abilities to the needs of the labour market and industry
- Build your skills in assessment and measurement of career resources to better support individuals looking for employment opportunities
- Gain core helping skills such as interviewing, assessing the needs of others, working effectively with groups, and assisting communities to change
- Develop the ability to document, build effective case management strategies and techniques and work within government requirements for legal and ethical frameworks of program delivery
- Understand the importance of respecting the uniqueness and dignity of all people in helping them achieve their career goals
*This information can be helpful for your resume or for interview talking points in this field.
Continuing Education Blog
Read our blog and discover more about Continuing Education at Mohawk College.