Career Consultant Certificate - 076
|Program Length||Approximately 2 years|
|Cost||~$300 per course + textbooks|
|Intakes||Fall (September), Winter (January), Spring (May)|
|Application Process||Students must apply and be accepted prior to registering. Visit the Admission & Registration tab for details|
Career development has become a unique specialty that continues to evolve alongside economic and labour market changes. This program will interest individuals with experience in career development who wish to enhance their skills, and those in human service areas wishing to add these competencies to their employment profile. If you currently work in Education, Human Resources, Social Services, and Career Information Centres, Recruitment Firms, Employment Agencies, Rehabilitation and Multicultural Settings, you should find this program valuable.
The Career Development Measurement and Assessment course (CREDCAR06) provides you with the credentials required to purchase assessments such as the Strong Interest Inventory, which is an assessment frequently used by practitioners in Ontario. Other assessments you will be able to purchase upon completion of this course are Aptitude, Ability, and Interest Assessments. You will be instructed in your course on how to purchase these assessments after successful completion of CREDCAR06.
- Learn about the Labour Market and National Occupational Codes
- Develop your counseling skills to assist individuals to achieve their dream jobs or careers
- Discover career development and digital resources to enhance your referrals
- Build your tools and techniques in resume development and career counseling
- Enhance your proficiencies and practice your individual and group facilitation skills
- Learn new measurement and assessment tools
Admission & Registration
- A degree or diploma in a related area is recommended.
- You must be accepted into the program to be able to register for courses.
- Please complete the application page and include either a copy of online course marks or a digital transcript to receive a conditional offer.
- Original, official transcripts (in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution) must be submitted in order to receive an official, and final, offer for the program.
- Applicants declaring permanent resident or Convention Refugee status in Canada, must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (PR card) along with their application.
- All applicants submitting international transcripts must also provide an official and sealed credential evaluation report. This can be coordinated through any of the following:
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) (opens new window)
- University of Toronto Comparative Education Service (CES) (opens new window)
- World Education Services (WES) (opens new window)
- An official English Language Proficiency score report outlining a minimum grade of 7 in all components.
- Other information or documents may be requested to determine your eligibility.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2019/20 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Community Services.
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||CRED10100||Ethics in Career Consulting||14.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR01||Theories Of Career Development||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR02||Career Development Resources||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR03||Work Search Tools and Techniques||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR04||Individual Helping Relationships||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR05||Group Facilitation Skills||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR06||Career Development Measurement And Assessment||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR07||Socio Economic Change And Response||42.00|
|N/A||CREDCAR08||Diversity In The Workplace||42.00|
The list of scheduled course offerings for this program is below. Please note that all offerings are subject to change. Not every course is offered every semester, so please consider this schedule when planning your academic path. Courses may be taken in any order.
|Course Code||Course Name||Fall
(Sep - Dec)
(Jan - Apr)
(May - Aug)
|CRED10100||Ethics in Career Consulting||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR01||Theories of Career Development||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR02||Career Development Resources||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR03||Work Search Tools and Techniques||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR04||Individual Helping Relationship||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR05||Group Facilitation Skills||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR06||Career Development Measurement and Assessment||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR07||Socio Economic Change and Response||MyCanvas|
|CREDCAR08||Diversity in the Workplace||MyCanvas|
Visit CE Get Started, your go-to online resource for getting started. You’ll find information on online tools and the wide range of student services available to you to support your success as a Mohawk College student and to help you achieve your future goals!
Login to MyMohawk
MyMohawk is the college portal used to access your student account information, email, grades and more. Your username and password can be found on the Continuing Education Acknowledgement of Registration & Student Account form that was sent to you after you registered for your course. Visit the Getting Started - MyMohawk Guide for step-by-step instructions.
Access Mohawk Email
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to Mohawk email. Visit the Getting Started – Mohawk Email Guide to learn how to set up your account on your devices.
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to MyCanvas, Mohawk College’s Learning Management System. Visit the Getting Started - MyCanvas for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Find your Textbook
Use the Mohawk College Textbook Search to find your course materials.
Explore Contacts and Services
Online learning courses provide you with the opportunity to learn online, anywhere, at your convenience! You can study at home or at work - wherever you like, whenever you like, within a predetermined time frame.
Courses are delivered over a set time period and are led by instructors. Most courses do not require that you be online at a certain time of day or night, but that you are active in the course during the schedule. There are scheduled start and end dates and you cannot start courses late nor finish early.
Visit the MyCanvas Course page for registration information and a step-by-step guide to get started. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Develop awareness of yourself, gain greater insight into who you are and experience personal growth
- Discover how Career Consultants/Practitioners facilitate positive changes in the lives of others
- Learn to understand the needs of the labour market and how to direct individuals to find employment that matches their skills and abilities to the needs of the labour market and industry
- Build your skills in assessment and measurement of career resources to better support individuals looking for employment opportunities
- Gain core helping skills such as interviewing, assessing the needs of others, working effectively with groups, and assisting communities to change
- Develop the ability to document, build effective case management strategies and techniques and work within government requirements for legal and ethical frameworks of program delivery
- Understand the importance of respecting the uniqueness and dignity of all people in helping them achieve their career goals
*This information can be helpful for your resume or for interview talking points in this field.
Pathways and Credit Transfer
View the pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
Industries of Employment:
- Employment Ontario Services Providers/Agencies
- Human Resource departments
- Counselling or career counselling professions
- Educational institutions
- Recruitment firms
- Social services organizations
- Employment agencies
- WSIB and Rehabilitation services
Did you know?
- In Ontario, 71% of Career Service Professionals make $40,001 - $85,000 (link)
- Career Service Professionals with college certificates are on the rise (link)
For more details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, see the Government of Canada website: www.jobbank.gc.ca/home