School Based Support
Focus on supporting children and youth in an educational environment. Suitable for Child and Youth Worker students or graduates who are interested in learning more about how to support children and youth in a classroom setting.
- Develop essential tools for working with Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Review the work of local professionals and international Autism experts, with emphasis on communication, social skills, behavioural challenges, family, sensory and educational issues
- Gain strategies to assist students to learn more effectively
- Develop understanding of how we learn, remember, and solve problems
- Identify learning needs, and apply various strategies to support learning
- Learn to use adaptive technology to assist children with special needs
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Students who struggle with communication or whose first language is not English are encouraged to explore upgrading options available through our Applied Communications Centre.
- Computer Skills (e.g. word processing, data management, internet access)
Students should be familiar with computers, word processing, and email based systems prior to considering these courses. To upgrade computer skills, consider a CE introductory 'Computer Basics' course or a Learning Support Centre workshop before applying.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
Click on the course number below to check current availability.
Registration for this program cannot be completed online, for registration instructions please contact cecommunity [at] mohawkcollege.ca.
|Course Number||Course Name||Course Description||Hours||Delivery|
|EDUC10001||Autism Spectrum Disorder - Assisting Student Development||Develop essential tools for working with children with ASD. Review the work of local professionals and international Autism experts, with emphasis on communication, social skills, behavioral challenges, family, sensory and educational issues.||42||Online|
|EDUC10004||Learning Strategies||Help your students learn more effectively. Develop understanding of how we learn, remember, and solve problems. Learn to identify learning needs, and apply various strategies to support learning.||42||Online|
|COMP10006||Adaptive Computer Technology in Education||Learn to use adaptive technology to assist special needs children. You must have experience in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet search techniques.||42||Online|
Frequently Asked Questions
Professionals who may benefit from this program include Health and Human Service providers:
- Early Childhood Educators
- Educational Support
- Fitness and Health Promotion Professionals
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physiotherapist Assistants
- Personal Support Workers
- Registered Practical Nurses
- Registered Nurses