Web Design and Development - 971
|Length of program:
~ One year (or less)
~$300 per course + textbooks (~ $50 each)
Fall, Winter, Spring
Students can register for course(s) without applying for the program
About this program
This program can teach you how to create, organize and maintain modern websites using knowledge of coding, general design principles, image editing and server-side programming techniques.
Continuing Education at Mohawk
Students can take just one or as many courses in the Program of Studies as they would like. If students complete all required courses from the Program of Studies, they can apply for the certificate. For further information on our Continuing Education programs click here. For information on credentials and how they differ from one another click here.
Nancy currently teaches Adobe Photoshop for CE Business but has also taught Design, Print Production & Graphics. Nancy uses her 20 years of experience in graphics, production, illustration and art direction to teach students various design techniques in the Web Design and Development Certificate. Nancy designed the 2017 Parasport Games Metals and has received the Advertising and Creative Excellence (ACE) award for a number of campaigns and clients.
Todd has taught many of the Web Design and Development Certificate courses including Web Scripting with PHP, HTML 1 and 2, CSS, and Dreamweaver. Todd has taught in the Continuing Education department for several years, and his favourite aspect of teaching is helping students reach their potential. Todd trained in Network Administration and IT Infrastructure Design. He has managed IT infrastructure for medium to large organizations for over thirty years, including network administration, web design, server management, and customized programming.
- Zoom is online software used within E-Learn (purchase not required) that allows students to interact with their instructors face-to-face online
- Interaction can be in the form of asking questions, troubleshooting assignments, and / or getting to know one another at a more personable level.
- These zoom sessions last about one hour, and they are generally done once a week during a weekday evening.
- Attending these sessions is optional and they are recorded so students can view them whenever convenient
With Continuing Education, each course is priced individually and students only pay for the course(s) they choose to register for. For financial assistance related inquiries please click here or contact 1-844-767-6871. Keep in mind, course prices do not include textbook fees. Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks
Students can access up to three hours of FREE peer tutoring per week of additional academic support, from a student who has successfully completed the course. For more information, click here.
Our Accessible Learning Services Counsellors, Accessibility Support Officers, and Learning Skills Advisor/Adaptive Technologist work with students with disabilities to develop a personalized program of services and academic accommodations. For more information, click here.
Find out about library computers available and how to borrow laptops and Chromebooks. For more information, click here.
- Offers many courses in an accelerated format of only 3 weeks.
- Flexible learning – Majority of courses are offered in a blended format of online and in-class. During the week students will review online content and instruction posted by the instructor. After spending the week learning at their own pace students will spend Saturday in-class to get further instruction and help on the material. This schedule helps even the busiest of students find time for learning.
- The remainder of the courses in the program that do not follow the accelerated 3 week blended delivery are offered in an online delivery.
- The program begins with HTML and CSS - the two cornerstones of web page design. From there, students can focus on creating graphics for webpages and expanding coding knowledge.
- This certificate contains only 6 courses so students can quickly advance through the program. Students can complete this certificate in as little as 2 semesters.
- With only one mandatory course and a variety of optional courses students have the opportunity to hone in on the skills they would like to work and expand upon.
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
- Understanding of Windows.
- Working knowledge of internet resources.
- If you are unfamiliar with computers or the internet, completions of Computer Basics with Windows, Word and Excel (INFO10156) is recommended.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Students will need to buy a textbook from the Mohawk College bookstore for some courses. A USB drive is also required for saving classroom work. Please refer to the Additional Information page for software requirements.
How to Register:
Once you have received an offer in to the program you can register for a course. Prior to the course starting you will need an official offer. Click on the Program of Studies page to view all courses and to register online for the available courses this term or for more registration information click here.
Completion of the Web Design & Development program will support your career in developing and maintaining professional websites. In the web design/development career space, you may find yourself working internally for an organization (private business, non-profit, institution, government), as a freelancer or for a web design/development company.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2018/19 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Creative, Media and Interdisciplinary Studies.
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently. For information on our annual course offering schedule, click here.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||INFO10112||Web Scripting with PHP||36.00|
- Analyze, evaluate, and apply relevant information from a variety of sources.
- Apply a systematic approach to solve problems.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and correctly in the written, spoken and visual form that fulfills the purpose and meets the needs of the audience.
- Locate, select, organize, and document information using appropriate technology and information systems.
- Manage the use of time and other resources to complete projects.
- Respond to written, spoken or visual messages in a manner that ensures effective communication.
- Show respect for the diverse opinions, values, belief systems, and contributions of others.
- Take responsibility for one's own actions, decisions, and consequences.
- Use a variety of thinking skills to anticipate and solve problems.
*This information can be helpful for your resume or for interview talking points in this field.
Questions about CE at Mohawk College? Please see our FAQ.
Course Name and Code
Web Design Basics INFO 10144
Web Page Design INFO 10110
Web Scripting with PHP INFO 10112
NotePad++ (free to download)
|Word Press 1 INFO 10202||
NotePad++ (free to download)
Filezilla Client (free to download)
Wordpress (free to download)
|Photoshope Adobe||Adobe Photoshop CC (need to purchase this software)|
Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition
Do you have computer skills, but lack a certificate? The PLAR process can help you earn a certificate faster. Visit PLAR or email plar [at] mohawkcollege.ca to arrange a Challenge Exam. A minimum of two weeks' notice is required. A non-refundable fee will be charged.
Continuing Education Blog
Read our blog and discover more about Continuing Education at Mohawk College.