Oncology Nursing - 883
This program is currently under review. At this time, we are not accepting new students. If you are a current student within this program, we encourage you to take any remaining courses as soon as possible. Email cehealth [at] mohawkcollege.ca for more information.
Enhance your nursing skills to support patients and families living with cancer.
Oncology nurses are compassionate, detail-oriented, and work well under pressure. Learn the skills necessary to provide optimal, safe and effective supportive care to individuals living with the effects of cancer.
Through a combination of theory and clinical experience, you will explore the biologic and psychosocial dimensions of the disease process that a patient may be dealing with, and will develop a keen understanding various variables of symptom control and management.
This program will also help prepare those who are eligible for the Canadian Nurses Association Oncology Nursing Certification Examination.
You do not need to apply to begin this program, simply ensure you meet the admission requirements (listed on the Admission & Registration tab) and then you may register for any available courses.
Admission & Registration
- Proof of current RN/RPN registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the current academic year. Students must take the introductory course before any others. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Health and Nursing .
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
NOTE: YOU MUST register for HLTH10223 to complete required health clearances prior to registration in CLINNSCC6 - Oncology Clinical.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||HSCI10219||Oncology Nursing 2||42.00|
|N/A||HSCI10220||Oncology Nursing 3||42.00|
|N/A||HSCI10221||Oncology Nursing 4||42.00|
|N/A||HSCINSCC2||Communications And Psychosocial Issues In Oncology||42.00|
The list of scheduled course offerings for this program is below. Please note that all offerings are subject to change. Not every course is offered every semester, so please consider this schedule when planning your academic path.
|Course Code||Course Name||
(Sep to Dec)
(Jan to Apr)
(May to Aug)
|NRSGNSCC1||Oncology Nursing - Introductory||MyCanvas||MyCanvas|
|HSCINSCC2||Communications And Psychosocial Issues in Oncology||MyCanvas||MyCanvas|
|HSCI10219||Oncology Nursing 2||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn|
|HSCI10220||Oncology Nursing 3||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn|
|HSCI10221||Oncology Nursing 4||OntarioLearn||OntarioLearn|
Visit CE Get Started, your go-to online resource for getting started. You’ll find information on online tools and the wide range of student services available to you to support your success as a Mohawk College student and to help you achieve your future goals!
Login to MyMohawk
MyMohawk is the college portal used to access your student account information, email, grades and more. Your username and password can be found on the Continuing Education Acknowledgement of Registration & Student Account form that was sent to you after you registered for your course. Visit the Getting Started - MyMohawk Guide for step-by-step instructions.
Access Mohawk Email
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to Mohawk email. Visit the Getting Started – Mohawk Email Guide to learn how to set up your account on your devices.
Courses in this program are delivered through both MyCanvas, Mohawk's Learning Management System, and OntarioLearn. Reference the Continuing Education catalogue or the Course Schedule tab to determine course delivery.
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to MyCanvas, Mohawk College’s Learning Management System. Visit the Getting Started - MyCanvas for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Visit www.ontariolearn.com to access your course. Visit the OntarioLearn Course page for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in OntarioLearn until the scheduled start date.
Find your Textbook
Use the Mohawk College Textbook Search to find your course materials.
Explore Contacts and Services
Online learning courses provide you with the opportunity to learn online, anywhere, at your convenience! You can study at home or at work - wherever you like, whenever you like, within a predetermined time frame.
Courses are delivered over a set time period and are led by instructors. Most courses do not require that you be online at a certain time of day or night, but that you are active in the course during the schedule. There are scheduled start and end dates and you cannot start courses late nor finish early.
Visit the MyCanvas Course page for registration information and a step-by-step guide to get started. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Visit the OntarioLearn Course page to discover how to get started on OntarioLearn. Please note your course will not appear in OntarioLearn until the scheduled start date.
Visit Exams for Online Courses for everything you need to know about booking and writing your online learning exam.
Field Placement / Clinical
Frequently Asked Questions
Successful completion of the Oncology Nursing Certificate Program will enable the graduate to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the CNO and CANO Standards, physiology of cancer, quality of life issues, advanced directive and palliative care
- Demonstrate knowledge of Nursing Practice and Genetics
- Demonstrate knowledge of epidemiology, prevention, screening, detection, diagnosis and staging
- Demonstrate knowledge of cancer surgeries
- Demonstrate knowledge of the pathophysiology of cancer, biotherapy related to cancers
- Demonstrate knowledge of communication, techniques and barriers
- Demonstrate knowledge of the theory of Learning and Patient teaching
- Demonstrate knowledge of the impact of cancer on individuals and families
- Demonstrate knowledge of grief, bereavement, spirituality and death, the meaning of "survivorship" relating to patients and families and sexuality issues
- Demonstrate knowledge of head and neck cancers, brain and central nervous system, skin cancer, immunology, leukemia, multiple myeloma, Hodgkin's and non Hodgkin's lymphoma also on with the treatment modalities and nursing interventions utilized in the care of the patient and family
- Demonstrate knowledge of the disease processes of gynecological, stomach, liver pancreatic, colorectal, bladder, prostate and testicular cancers along with prevention, detection and treatment modalities of theses cancers and appropriate nursing interventions
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the fatigue associated with cancer, GI disturbances, the immune system and supportive measures for the body's protective mechanisms, nutritional support and interventions, and pain and pain management
- Demonstrate knowledge and technical skills in basic physical assessment, history taking and documentation
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills acquired throughout the theory courses to an oncological clinical setting
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from any of the following Ontario College Diploma, and Degree programs are eligible to enroll into the Oncology Nursing program:
Potential for specialization in several areas of Oncology nursing including inpatient care, outpatient care and clinics.
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition
Students who have gained knowledge and skills through their work experience and have documented evidence may utilize the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition process for credit for the clinical course. Please contact the plar [at] mohawkcollege.ca (PLAR office) for further details.