Registered Nurse Refresher - 069
Are you a Registered Nurse in Ontario who has been out of active practice for more than 3 years? Update your skills prior to returning to active nursing.
Combining theory and hands on practice, review digital health informatics, professional accountability and responsibilities as a nurse, ethical and legal concepts to nursing practices, medical and surgical theory, communication skills, and much more to prepare you for re-entry into the nursing field.
You must hold a Certificate of Registration or Reinstatement Letter from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and not have been out of practice for more than 10 years.
Requirements to begin this program are outlined on the Admissions & Registration tab.
If you have any questions about this program, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!
Admission & Registration
- Certificate of Registration or Reinstatement Letter from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) (opens new window)
- Must have practiced within the last 10 years. Individuals who have been out of practice for more than 10 years may be considered for admission based on previous nursing experience
How to Register
Forward a cover letter along with:
- Copy of your CNO Certificate of Registration or Reinstatement Letter
- Resume outlining your nursing practice
Forward your documents by fax, email or mail to:
RN Refresher Program
Institute for Applied Health Sciences
1400 Main St. West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 1C7
Email: bien [at] mohawkcollege.ca (BIEN)
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2018/19 academic year .
Your program of study is individualized and forwarded to you at admission. For prerequisites and co-requisites, please refer to your program of study.
All courses MUST be completed prior to attending clinical experience. Clinical placements are scheduled taking into consideration your individual independent learning needs and the availability of clinical sites. Medical clearance, mask fit and BCLS are required prior to clinical.
Note: You must complete the full program within 3 years from admission.
Students currently in progress should contact bien [at] mohawkcollege.ca (BIEN) regarding a strategy for completion
Click on the course title for a course description.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|Register||CLIN10076||Professional Practice Acute||168.00|
|Register||CLIN10078||Professional Practice Consolidation||280.00|
|Register||HLTH10201||Digital Health Informatics||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10089||Professional Practice Labs||42.00|
|Register||NRSG10109||Professional Development for Experienced Nurses||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10110||Medical/Surgical Theory Review||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10113||Admin of Medication Review for Regulated Health Care Professionals||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10114||Health Assessment Review for Regulated Health Care Professionals||42.00|
|Course Code||Course Name||Fall 2019
(Sep to Dec)
(Jan to Apr)
(May to Aug)
|COMM 10172||Therapeutic Communication Skill Review for Experienced Nurses||Classroom||Classroom|
|HLTH 10201||Digital Health Informatics||Classroom|
|NRSG 10089||Professional Practice Labs||Classroom|
|NRSG 10109||Professional Development for Experienced Nurses||Classroom|
|NRSG 10110||Medical/Surgical Theory Review||Classroom||Classroom|
|NRSG 10111||Maternal Child/Mental Health Theory Review||Classroom||
|NRSG 10114||Health Assessment Review for Regulated Health Care Professionals||
|CLIN 10076||Professional Practice Acute||Fieldwork||Fieldwork||Fieldwork|
|CLIN 10078||Professional Practice Consolidation||Fieldwork||Fieldwork||Fieldwork|
- Provide competent care with a holistic awareness of the impact of the internal and external context on health and healing
- Identify the need for appropriate change in health care, create a climate for adopting change and contribute to effecting and evaluating change
- Contribute to the future of the nursing profession through a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth and integrate critical inquiry into professional practice
- Integrate an understanding of the client's unique perspective on his/her health, and how this perspective influences participation in one's health care
- Build relationships in a team environment and be actively engaged in team decision making around client care
- Contribute to the body of nursing knowledge through demonstrating an inquiring approach to practice
- Assume leadership roles in partnership with clients and the health care team
- Assume advocacy roles in partnership with clients and the health care team and challenge inequities that impact on the health of clients
- Practice within the professional standards, guidelines, legislation and values of the nursing profession
- Provide technologically appropriate care in a variety of contexts
- Establish therapeutic partnerships with clients to enhance health and healing and communicate effectively in a variety of media
Essential Employability Skills
All graduates with the following Ontario College credentials, Ontario College Certificate, Ontario College Diploma and Ontario College Advanced Diploma, must be able to reliably demonstrate Essential Employability skills in the following 6 keys areas:
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Information Management
Industries of Employment:
- Staff Nurses in Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Visiting Nursing Agencies and Public Health Departments
- Care Managers for Community Care Access Centres
- Entrepreneurs Owning and Managing a Health Care or Nursing Care Business
- Researchers in Nursing Care, Nurse Education and Health Care
- Educators of Individuals, Families, Communities and Nursing Students
- Registered Nurse