Registered Nurse / Registered Practical Nurse Mental Health - 930
Acquire current knowledge and skills in the specialty area of mental health nursing. This newly designed program for RNs and RPNs explores concepts and trends necessary for functioning as a dynamic, innovative and effective member of the Mental Health care team. Develop the awareness and significance of the client's mental health journey, the nurse/client relationship including communication, the importance of the multi team approach to care, the legal and ethical aspects of mental health nursing, cultural diversity and the impact of stigma.
Specialization in Mental & Health Nursing increases the opportunity for employment in a variety of mental health areas, facility and community based. The Mental Health Nursing Certificate Program will also prepare those who are eligible for the Canadian Nurses Association Mental Health Nursing certification examination.
You do not need to apply to begin this program, simply ensure you meet the admission requirements (listed on the Admission & Registration tab) and then you may register for any available courses.
Admission & Registration
- Proof of current RN/RPN registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the current academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Health and Nursing .
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
NOTE: YOU MUST register for HLTH10223 to complete required health clearances prior to registration in CLIN10097 - Mental Health Clinical.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||CLIN10097||Mental Health Clinical||60.00|
|N/A||HSCI10145||Advancements in the Mental Health System||42.00|
|N/A||HSCI10149||Whole Person Assessment||42.00|
|N/A||HSCI10150||Interventions Supporting Recovery||42.00|
The list of scheduled course offerings for this program is below. Please note that all offerings are subject to change. Not every course is offered every semester, so please consider this schedule when planning your academic path.
|Course Code||Course Name||
(Sep to Dec)
(Jan to Apr)
(May to Aug)
|HSCI0145||Advancements in the Mental Health System||MyCanvas||MyCanvas|
|HSCI10149||Whole Person Assessment||MyCanvas||MyCanvas|
|HSCI10150||Interventions Supporting Recovery||MyCanvas||MyCanvas|
|CLIN10097||Mental Health Clinical||Fieldwork||Fieldwork||Fieldwork|
Visit CE Get Started, your go-to online resource for getting started. You’ll find information on online tools and the wide range of student services available to you to support your success as a Mohawk College student and to help you achieve your future goals!
Login to MyMohawk
MyMohawk is the college portal used to access your student account information, email, grades and more. Your username and password can be found on the Continuing Education Acknowledgement of Registration & Student Account form that was sent to you after you registered for your course. Visit the Getting Started - MyMohawk Guide for step-by-step instructions.
Access Mohawk Email
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to Mohawk email. Visit the Getting Started – Mohawk Email Guide to learn how to set up your account on your devices.
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to MyCanvas, Mohawk College’s Learning Management System. Visit the Getting Started - MyCanvas for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Find your Textbook
Use the Mohawk College Textbook Search to find your course materials.
Explore Contacts and Services
Online learning courses provide you with the opportunity to learn online, anywhere, at your convenience! You can study at home or at work - wherever you like, whenever you like, within a predetermined time frame.
Courses are delivered over a set time period and are led by instructors. Most courses do not require that you be online at a certain time of day or night, but that you are active in the course during the schedule. There are scheduled start and end dates and you cannot start courses late nor finish early.
Visit the MyCanvas Course page for registration information and a step-by-step guide to get started. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Field Placement / Clinical
Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply the concepts/beliefs of psychiatric/mental illness through the examination of past, present and future trends
- Apply the legal aspects of mental health, and mental health reform that has shaped the course of care for individuals with mental health issues
- Develop a deep and personal understanding the client's lived experience during their recovery journey
- Develop an understanding of cultural competence and the impact of stigma
- Be knowledgeable of the continuum of care in the system
- Explore the impact of values and beliefs in the therapeutic partnerships
- Apply communication and interviewing skills
- Analyze the nurse client relationship with self-awareness and insight
- Investigate conflict and ethics in the context of intrapersonal, interpersonal and organizational environments and the functions of teams
- Be knowledgeable of the organizations, associations and certifications contributing to professional nursing practice
- Have specialized knowledge in the areas of major mental illness and impact on clients, addictions and mental health, impact of cognitive impairment and mental health plus the impact of physical health impairments and mental health
- Be knowledgeable in the area of client assessment including mental status exams, risk assessment, interviewing skills and data collection
- Develop knowledge in the area of recovery, psychopharmacology, support systems for client and family and group counseling modalities
- Demonstrate a broad scope of interventions used in mental health nursing
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from any of the following Ontario College Diploma, and Degree programs are eligible to enroll into the Registered Nurse/Registered Practical Nurse Mental Health program:
View the pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Job opportunities exist in a variety of mental health areas such as:
- Community outreach programs
- Mental health and addiction programs and services
- Correctional services
- Mental health treatment centres
- Peer support services
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition
Students who have gained knowledge and skills through the work experience and have documented evidence may utilize the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process for credit for the placement course.
Please contact the plar [at] mohawkcollege.ca (PLAR office) for further details.