Registered Practical Nurse Refresher - 884
This program is currently under review. At this time, we are not accepting new students. Email cehealth [at] mohawkcollege.ca for more information.
Are you a Registered Practical Nurse in Ontario who has been out of active practice for more than 3 years? Update your skills prior to returning to active nursing.
Combining theory and hands on practice, review digital health informatics, professional accountability and responsibilities as a nurse, ethical and legal concepts to nursing practices, medical and surgical theory, communication skills, and much more to prepare you for re-entry into the nursing field.
You must hold a Certificate of Registration or have a Reinstatement Letter from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and not have been out of practice for more than 10 years. Upon completion of all required courses you will receive a certificate.
Requirements to begin this program are outlined on the Admissions & Registration tab.
Admission & Registration
We are no longer accepting students into this program.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2018/19 academic year
Students currently in progress should contact bien [at] mohawkcollege.ca (BIEN) regarding a strategy for completion
Your program of study is individualized and forwarded to you upon admission. For prerequisites and co-requisites, please refer to your program of study.
All courses MUST be completed prior to attending clinical experience. Clinical placements are scheduled taking into consideration your individual independent learning needs and the availability of clinical sites. Medical clearance, Mask Fit and BCLS are required prior to clinical.
You must complete the full program within 3 years from admission.
Click on the course title for a course description.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||CLIN10076||Professional Practice Acute||168.00|
|N/A||CLIN10078||Professional Practice Consolidation||280.00|
|N/A||HLTH10201||Digital Health Informatics||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10089||Professional Practice Labs||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10109||Professional Development for Experienced Nurses||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10110||Medical/Surgical Theory Review||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10111||Maternal Child/Mental Health Theory Review||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10112||Service Learning for BIEN & Refresher Nursing Students||70.00|
|N/A||NRSG10113||Admin of Medication Review for Regulated Health Care Professionals||42.00|
|N/A||NRSG10114||Health Assessment Review for Regulated Health Care Professionals||42.00|
- Prioritize and organize nursing and health care
- Participate effectively as a team member to support clients' achievement of their expected health outcomes
- Complete assessment in a holistic, comprehensive, and analytical manner
- Integrate theory, principles and concepts into competent nursing practice
- Apply principles of teaching-learning to promote clients' health and wellness
- Practice in a professional manner within a legislative and ethical framework
- Communicate effectively with clients, health care team members, and others
- Implement and evaluate nursing interventions competently
- Use a variety of technological tools to support clients' achievement of their expected health outcomes
- Develop and sustain therapeutic relationships with clients
Essential Employability Skills
All graduates with the following Ontario College credentials, Ontario College Certificate, Ontario College Diploma and Ontario College Advanced Diploma, must be able to reliably demonstrate Essential Employability Skills in the following 6 key areas:
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Information Management
Industries of Employment:
- Hospitals, Physicians' Offices, Retirement Homes, Community Agencies, Nursing Homes and Long Term Care Homes
- Business and Industry
- Registered Practical Nurse