Skin, Wound and Footcare Management
Enhance your foot and wound care knowledge in this specialized series of courses. Designed specifically for RNs and RPNs, these courses can help increase your potential to find employment or start your own business in wound or footcare management.
Led by instructors with industry expertise, all courses are interactive and combine theory and practical application.
Upon successful completion of Basic Footcare, Advanced Footcare and the Footcare field practicum, students will be awarded an Acknowledgment of Completion. To further explore the area of foot and wound care, students have the opportunity to complete the Management of Wounds workshop.
If you have any questions about this program, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!
Specialization increases potential to find employment working as footcare nurse or independently in a footcare business.
Admission & Registration
- Proof of current RN/RPN registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
|Course Number||Course Name||Description|
|Footcare Letter of Recognition|
|NRSGHZPAE||Basic Footcare for RNs and RPNs||
Two Day Workshop:
Assessment, patient teaching and non-invasive foot care, including reduction of normal nails will be demonstrated and practiced in a lab setting. Prior to workshop, learners are expected to complete independent learning module and NOT to cut toenails
|NRSG10059||Advanced Footcare for RNs and RPNs||
Four Day Workshop:
Focus on assessment and nursing care of high risk feet. Pathological conditions and infection control are discussed. Padding and strapping are practiced.
|Footcare Acknowledgment of Completion|
|Completion of the two courses above plus:|
|CLIN10058||Footcare Field Practicum||
Benefit from the opportunity to observe and implement footcare within scope of practice to clients in a residential setting. You MUST register for HLTH10223 to complete required health clearances prior to registration.
|Skin and Wound Care Letter of Recognition|
|HSCIHS127||The Management of Wounds||
Enhance theoretical knowledge and practical skills in caring for complex wounds, including leg ulcers. Equivalent to L1-Canadian Assoc. of Wound Care series.
For the most current course offering, start date and fee information please see the Continuing Education catalogue.
For further information on practicum courses, please see our Clinical FAQ.
Frequently Asked Questions
Successful completion of the Footcare Program will enable the graduate to:
- Use specialized knowledge & skills to provide safe, competent footcare to clients
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate foot care within scope of practice
- Update and expand knowledge of footcare practices using a variety of resources and learning opportunities
- Utilize critical thinking skills in examining footcare situations
- Implement and promote evidence-based nursing practice through research utilization
- Utilize principles of health education, adult learning, and the teaching-learning process to meet the learning needs of foot care clients.
- Specialization increases potential to find employment working in some capacity as a footcare practitioner.
When you receive your final grades for all the required courses in the program, you may request your Acknowledgement of Completion. Visit our FAQ to find out how to apply.