If cake decorating is something you always wanted to learn, these courses will give you the fundamentals necessary to create great and exciting looking cakes for any special occasion from whimsical to beautiful in no time. Lots of hands-on learning that could be a great start to pursue a career or business.
- Personal enrichment/growth
- To express your personal creativity
- To produce professional looking cakes/cupcakes
- Employment opportunities
- Usage of proper decorating tools
- Hands-on skills in preparation for decorating a variety of cakes/cupcakes for birthdays, holiday, theme, children's, wedding
- Master decorating techniques - use of different types of icing, create decorative piping designs, floral icing decorations, printed and script inscriptions, working with gum paste and fondant skills
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
- Some manual dexterity is required for the use of sharp tools
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
- Employment in a bakery, grocery store, banquet and catering establishments
Program of Studies
Completion Requirement: 4 courses
Click on the course number below to check current availability and for registration information
|Course Number||Course Name||Course Description|
|CULGI737||Cake Decorating 1||
Learn the fundamentals of decorating cakes and cupcakes. Receive hands-on instruction in leveling, filling, smoothing and combining cakes. Learn and practice the essential skills for decorating - piping techniques, flowers and much more. Supply costs are the responsibility of the participant. 15 hours
|CULGI738||Cake Decorating 2||Create beautiful royal icing flowers, lily nail flowers, flood work, basket weave design and more. Supply costs are the responsibility of the participant. Prerequisite: CULIGI737. 15hours|
|CULGI739||Cake Decorating 3||Introduces the wonderful world of decorating with fondant. Use fondant for covering cakes as well as modelling flowers, bows and other adornments to be used on cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Stacking and tiering of cakes will also be covered. Supply costs are the responsibility of the participant. Prerequisite: CULIGI738. 15 hours|
|CULI10081||Cake Decorating 4||Discover the versatility of using ready-made gum paste to create figures and realistic to nature flowers quite often seen on designer wedding cakes. Create an assortment of wired flowers including roses, lilies, hydrangea, orchids, leaves etc. and learn to apply the flowers to cakes. Supply costs are the responsibility of the participant. Prerequisite: CULIGI739 15 hours|