Fire Safety - 853
This program is open to anyone interested in fire prevention and safety. It should especially interest individuals involved in building construction, building maintenance, inspectors, fire prevention officers, insurance adjusters, and anyone with responsibility for fire safety in commercial or industrial institutions.
Courses are delivered by fire safety professionals including Fire Prevention Officers from local Fire Departments and experts working in the fire alarm and sprinkler testing and maintenance industry.
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2017/18 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Technology and Skills.
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||SAFEFT100||Basic Principles Of Fire Safety||42.00|
|N/A||SAFEFT103||Fire Safety 3-Fire Alarms||42.00|
|N/A||SAFEFT106||Fire Safety 6 Processes and Protection||42.00|
|N/A||SAFE10132||Fire Safety â€" Extinguishing Systems||42.00|
|N/A||SAFE10133||Fire Code and Inspections||42.00|
For Prior Learning Assessment information, contact the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) office at 905-575-2395.
- Canadian Fire Safety Association (CFSA) (opens new window)
- Canadian Automatic Sprinkler System Association (CASAA) (opens new window)
- Canadian Fire Alarm Association (CFAA) (opens new window)
- Fire Marshal Public Fire Safety Council (opens new window)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) (opens new window)
- Office of the Fire Marshal (OFM) (opens new window)
- Ontario Fire Code (2007) (opens new window)
- Ontario Municipal Fire Prevention Officers Association (opens new window)
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE) (opens new window)
- Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) (opens new window)
- Underwriters’ Laboratories of Canada (ULC) (opens new window)