Practice good personal hygiene
One of the best ways to prevent the spread of illness is to practice good personal hygiene. Standard practices to reduce the spread of respiratory viruses include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze; if you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The Government of Canada is advising all Canadians to stay home and avoid leaving their home unless it is to obtain essentials such as food or medication, to care for a family member or to report for work. (Please note that Ontario has closed all non-essential businesses.)
As of midnight March 25, anyone that has travelled outside of Canada will be subject to a mandatory 14-day period of self-isolation.
Procedure for suspected cases of COVID-19
If you suspect you have COVID-19 symptoms please visit https://covid-19.ontario.ca/ to take a self-assessment and determine how to seek further care.