Information for International Students

Updates from the Dean of Mohawk International

The College and Mohawk International are committed to keeping you informed and supported. Please visit the Updates page for the latest updates from the Dean of International.


Frequently asked Questions

Please find answers below to some common questions that International Students may have during changes brought about by COVID-19.

If you do not find answers to your questions below, you may contact us here:

  • For questions relating to international supports and services, please contact: [at]
  • For questions about admissions to programs: intered [at]
  • For questions about the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program, please contact: eap [at]
  • For questions about COVID-19 and the College response, questions [at] will continue to be the main communications channel
  • Please monitor our international social media account, and your MyMohawk email account for the latest updates.
  • For the latest updates on COVID-19 and answers to your questions, please check this site frequently for new information.


Permits and Visas

How does the new move to online learning at the College impact my study permit?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced the following: “If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, your eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program won’t be affected. This includes students who have a study permit or who have been approved for a study permit for a program starting in May or June but who are unable to travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions. International students in this situation may begin their classes while outside Canada and may complete up to 50% of their program while outside Canada if they cannot travel to Canada sooner.” Please see the IRCC website for details.

What is the impact of the new move to online learning on my post-graduate work permit?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced the following: “PGWPP eligibility will not be affected for international students whose fall 2020 courses will be online due to COVID-19. This is in line with guidance provided to students already studying in Canada or whose program had a spring or summer start date.

Students in this situation may begin their classes while outside Canada and complete up to 50% of their program via distance learning if they cannot travel to Canada sooner.

In addition, they will not have time deducted from the length of a future post-graduation work permit for studies completed outside of Canada, up to December 31, 2020.”

Please see the IRCC website for full details.


I am scheduled to graduate at end of this term and my permit will expire at that time. However, I am unable to go home due to travel restrictions. What can I do?

Please visit the IRCC webpage for regular updates:

Monitor this website from the Government of Canada: for any news on travel restrictions.

Also, see the International Air Transport Association list of travel restrictions worldwide.

Can I work more than my current part-time hours (20 hours/week)?

Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada has announced that “To help battle the COVID-19 outbreak, starting immediately, the government will remove the restriction that allows international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session, provided they are working in an essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods.”

International students are temporarily allowed to work more than 20 hours if they are

  • a study permit holder in an academic session
  • eligible to work off-campus, and
  • providing an essential service

To see if your work is considered an essential service or function, check the Guide on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Pandemic. This temporary rule change will be in place until August 31, 2020.

See the IRCC webpage for full details.

Otherwise, as this is not a scheduled break and classes are still being delivered, international students are not able to work over their current allotted hours.

Are study and work permits still being processed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)?

Information we have received indicates that IRCC continues to process permits and has extended deadlines for applicants to provide required documentation. However, service delivery has been and will continue to be severely impacted. Please monitor the IRCC COVID-19 Special Measures page and the IRCC COVID-19 Temporary Residence page for updates.

Also, you may wish to monitor the list of travel restrictions worldwide from the International Air Transport Association.

My permit expires soon. Are there special extensions or do I need to reapply to extend my permit to stay in Canada?

There are no special extensions at this time. If your permit is expiring soon, you may apply for an extension. Once the application is submitted, the applicant may remain in Canada until a decision is rendered on their application. See the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Guide webpage for further details. See also the IRCC Temporary Residents webpage.

Where can I find the latest news about travel restrictions for International Students?

Monitor the Government of Canada website for any news on travel restrictions.

Also, you may wish to monitor the list of travel restrictions worldwide from the International Air Transport Association.

How do I obtain a Co-op Work Permit now that I cannot visit service centres and/or provide fingerprints at this time?

You can apply online for the co-op work permit. See the IRCC webpage about applying for a co-op work permit. See the Biometrics page for updates on collecting biometrics during closures.


Important Dates (Payment, Withdrawal, etc.)

Have the fee/deposit deadlines changed for the Summer 2020 semester?

The deadline for full Fee payment has been updated on the Academic Dates page to Friday June 5, 2020 (see page for details and possible exceptions). Please note that this is also the final day that registration is possible for students. Payments can be made at your local bank (allow 3-5 business days for processing) or online through your MyMohawk account. We encourage you to monitor and your Mohawk email account (through MyMohawk) for further updates.

What is the withdrawal deadline?

Please see our academic dates website for more information by semester, and see the exceptions term program which applies to some programs.

Are there any extensions to payment deadlines if I am attending in fall 2020?

Applicants for September 2020 who have received a Letter of Acceptance on or after March 1, 2020 will now have until May 15, 2020 to pay their Confirmation Fee (refer to page 2 of the Letter of Acceptance for the exact amount). Payment of this fee is part of the College Acceptance Checklist (page 3 of the Letter of Acceptance) and will confirm the student’s intention to start studies in September 2020.

As a reminder, we recommend all students outside of Canada to use the Flywire Payment Portal. This is the fastest and most secure way to transfer funds to Mohawk College. Please see the Methods of Payment page for other options.

This extension is provided to give you flexibility to make the best possible decisions regarding their future studies at Mohawk College. Market Specialists are available to answer any questions you have regarding the Confirmation Fee Payment extension and attendance at Mohawk College.


Supports for Students

I’m experiencing anxiety/mental health concerns, where can I go for help?

Counselling Services will continue to be available by phone until further notice. Emails are being monitored and will be responded to Monday- Friday, between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. During this time, you may email counselling [at] to set up a phone appointment. (Please provide your phone number and student number.)

For additional resources, please visit Counselling at this webpage for a list of over-the-phone and app resources:

Also, the KeepMeSafe app from is available to assist international students with live 24/7 support from mental health professionals in a variety of languages. To access:

  • Download the My SSP App (available from the App store/ Google Play) and follow the prompts to access support; or
  • Call 1.844.451.9700 to be connected with live support

How can I access free medical advice?

Guard me Mobile Doctor allows you to access a doctor over the phone. You can find instructions on how to do this with your Guard.Me account at Mobile Doctor.

Telehealth Ontario allows free medical advice of the phone, learn more here at the Telehealth Ontario website.

I am in financial need, what resources are available to me?

You might qualify for the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit if you are currently residing in Canada. Please view the Emergency Response Plan page for more detail.

Please see our Online and Community Resources page for up-to-date resources to access during this time.

If you need help accessing resources, please contact us at [at]

Where can I find a listing of all supports for students (on-campus and in the community) while the college is closed?

All information relating to the College closure and supports available for students can be found on the Mohawk COVID-19 website. Information is updated daily, so check back often. You can also view all up-to-date Online and Community Resources here.

I am a new student and my May semester was suspended – do I need to contact someone to confirm I have arrived? What supports are available for me?

If you have arrived in Canada, but your program will not commence in May 2020, please email the [at] (International Student Services team) to report your arrival, confirm your contact information and arrange for health insurance coverage.

Is the Mohawk College Health Centre available to me while the college is closed?

The Health Centre is available for virtual appointments by phone or computer. Most appointments can be covered by Guard.Me insurance with no cost to you.

To book an appointment, please call: 289-237-6538 or 289-682-7282 appointments. For more information on the Centre visit the Health Centre webpage.

What government funding is available for me if I have lost my job due to COVID-19 (for example, Employment Insurance or other emergency support benefits)?

Please visit the Employment Insurance section of the COVID-19 – Employment and Social Development Canada webpage to determine if you are eligible and for further information. If not, you might qualify for the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) if you are currently residing in Canada (online forms open April 6). Please view the CERB Eligibility criteria and application page for more details, including how to prepare to apply.

Am I eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit and if so, how do I apply?

International students are eligible to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements (e.g. have earned a minimum of $5000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of application, have a valid SIN, etc.) Check the Canada Emergency Response Benefit webpage for full eligibility criteria and if you are eligible, go to the Apply page to prepare to apply for the benefit, beginning April 6. You will need a Canada Revenue Agency account to apply. See the Apply page for full details.

I am having difficulty paying my rent – are there any government rent subsidies?

There are currently no Ontario government rent subsidies. The Ontario government has advised that “tenants who are having challenges paying rent should speak with their landlords about possibly deferring their rent or other payment arrangements.” Also note that “under the Residential Tenancies Act, landlords cannot charge fees or penalties for late rent payments.” Please see the Ontario government webpage: Renting: Changes during COVID-19. Please be sure to review your tenant rights if you feel you are being treated unfairly. If you are unsure, [at] with your questions. The Mohawk Student’s Association can also provide free legal counselling on topics such as landlord/tenant rights, employment law, and more. Visit the MSA website for further information.  

While there isn’t any rent-specific financial support available, you may wish to apply for the government-sponsored Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or the College’s COVID-19 Emergency Bursary (CEB).  



Should I continue to work at my co-op/field placement?

Mohawk College suspended all learner and co-op placements until further notice. This important decision has been made with concern for the health and safety of our students and our community in mind. Clinical, Field and Co-op Placement Specialists have contacted students, placement agencies and employers to ensure they are aware of our decision.

Are Continuing Education (Ontario Learn) courses continuing online?

CE classes are still running and registration is now open, online (though not in-person).; However, Mohawk has delayed distribution of the new course catalogue for the May 1 semester start.

I don’t have a computer, how can I access online learning?

The College has a limited number of laptops and Chromebooks for loan to students who do not have access to online learning from home. If you need to borrow a laptop or Chromebook you can email IT at helpdesk [at], phone us 905-575-2199 or go online through the Information Technology Portal

For information on Chromebook versus laptop refer to this link: 

For students registered with Accessible Learning Services who require a laptop for accommodation needs, email: als [at]

Directions regarding the collection and return of the laptop will be provided when your loan has been confirmed with IT. 

How can I register for Continuing Education courses?

International students who wish to register for Spring CE courses need to email [at] for direction.

Can I enter Canada as an international student to begin studies?

The Federal Government has said that international students can enter Canada for studies. Please see this update from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Monitor this website from the Government of Canada for any news on travel restrictions.

Can I go home and complete my semester from home?

Yes, you may travel home to complete your winter 2020 semester remotely. Please monitor the Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada webpage for updates. Keep in mind that you will need to be able to access your course materials online and there may be course activities that occur in the EST time zone. As well, please note that The Government of Canada is currently advising against any non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice. Please note that some countries have mandated a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Monitor the Canadian Government travel advisory information for updates.

What happens if you stop studying a semester of EAP?

Students who decide to not study a semester of EAP should speak to an International Student Advisor to determine any potential issues with their study permits, future applications for post-grad work permits, or eligibility to begin their program on time. They can access an advisor by emailing: [at]

How should I pay and enroll for the May EAP semester?

Information regarding the May EAP semester is still being determined. Once this information is confirmed, students will be emailed payment and registration information. Students can also email eap [at] for any questions.

When should I pay the entire next semester of EAP?

EAP students planning to study for the May/June should follow the “Summer Term Fee Deadline” for their program, as noted on the Mohawk Academic Dates calendar.

How do I withdraw from studies?

You may contact [at] to request a withdrawal from studies.

How will the September 2020 semester program be delivered?

After carefully considering a number of options, Mohawk College has made the decision to deliver the Fall 2020 semester through a combination of remote/virtual learning and in-person delivery.

The health and well-being of our students and employees remains our highest priority and is the key guiding factor in our decision-making process. Our plan includes the delivery of lecture-based program components in a remote/virtual environment while all required face-to-face deliveries (e.g. labs, simulations, assessments, etc.) will be delivered on campus. Regardless of how your courses are delivered you can be confident that it will meet the learning outcomes for your programs, while ensuring the quality educational experience you expect from Mohawk.

It is important to emphasize that our plan for the Fall semester is based on current information. As we have learned with the COVID-19 pandemic, the situation can change very quickly, and we may be forced to alter or change our plans unexpectedly in the weeks and months ahead.  For more information please watch the COVID-19 Website.


Health Insurance

Will insurance cover medical treatment for COVID-19 related illness?

If a student is diagnosed with an illness when they are in Canada, including COVID-19, they are eligible for medically necessary treatment, as per the normal terms and conditions of their policy. For further information, please see:

Please see additional Guard.Me FAQs.

I have arrived for classes in May (in Canada, with a letter of acceptance) - do I have coverage yet?

If you arrived early and are waiting for classes to start, you may be eligible to purchase early arrival insurance for up to 4 weeks prior to the start date of your program. Email [at] to arrange for coverage.



Language testing centres in my country have closed. How do I provide proof for this academic requirement? What alternative language tests will you accept?

The following assessments will be accepted: PTE, CAEL, TOEFL iBT Home Edition, IELTS and Cambridge Assessment for English. Effective April 20, 2020, for a limited time, we will also accept International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP) and/or DUOLINGO. Please find more information on our Understanding Admissions Requirements website.

Will classes still run in May 2020?

Mohawk College will be suspending all Post-Secondary Semester One program intakes that were scheduled to begin in May 2020. Mohawk College plans to offer all regularly scheduled Semesters Two and above during the Spring/Summer 2020 semester. This does NOT apply to Continuing Education programs and courses. Continuing Education Registration is now open for the Spring/Summer 2020 semester. Please see the March 20 Mohawk College COVID-19 update for full details.

I have an IELTS test booked. Are IELTS Testing Centres open?

The IELTS Canada Team has notified us that “in Ontario, British Columbia, PEI, and Alberta, following the declaration of a state of emergency and the closure of private and public schools, as well as the decision to move college and university classes online, the IELTS test has been suspended in the majority of venues in these provinces... IELTS Test Centres that must close for the time being will be contacting test takers to let them know of the cancellation and refund the fees.”

Please review the IELTS COVID-19 webpage for updates.

I have applied for the Fall 2020 semester. Is my application being processed?

The College is continuing to process applications for the fall 2020 semester. Current application processing time is approximately 1-2 weeks.

The College is continuing to monitor the situation and will notify all applicants via email should there be any changes to the delivery of the fall 2020 semester. As well, please monitor the college’s COVID-19 page where updates will continue to be posted.

If you have questions about your application, the Market Specialist for your region would be happy to assist. Please see the list of Market Specialists on our website to find the Specialist for your region. Alternatively, you may email: intered [at] Please be advised that due to enquiry volume, our response may be delayed.

If I have paid my fee by mail (money order/bank draft) how do I get confirmation and a fee receipt as soon as possible to apply for a study permit application?

Due to the College closure we are unable access payments sent by mail at this time. Please connect with your local bank to obtain proof of purchase for the Money Order. Once the college re-opens, we will process the payment without penalty and issue the receipt.

I have paid full fees to begin my semester 1 studies in May 2020 but now semester 1 intake is cancelled. What happens now?

The May 2020 intake has been suspended effective March 20, 2020. Your application for May 2020 will automatically be deferred to your current program of study, starting September 2020, with a new Letter of Acceptance provided after April 1, 2020. You can also choose to select one of the following options:

  • Request a new program of study for September 2020 (based on availability) by using the online Deferral Request form;
  • Request a deferral to January 2021 using the online Deferral Request form; or
  • Request a full refund of tuition fees due to COVID-19 (application fee excluded) by completing the refund form. Any changes to your application need to be confirmed by April 1, 2020.

I am worried about arriving for September 2020 intake, am I eligible for a deferral or refund?

At this time we are anticipating the College to be open and offering classes as normal for September 2020. At this time, we are not offering refunds but we can offer deferrals to an upcoming semester. Please connect with your Market Specialist for further details.


Living Arrangements

I am currently living in Homestay, what supports are there for me?

Students wishing to extend their time in homestay over the summer can submit a request to our partners at Canada Homestay Network (CHN), via hamiltoninfo [at] CHN will do their best accommodate students either in their current homestay or in another one if their current hosts are not available for the extension.

Please visit CHN’s COVID-19 response plan website for updated information.

Can I travel home?

Please note that Mohawk courses are still running in an online format. Connect with your academic area for completion options.

The Government of Canada is currently advising against any non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice. Please note that some countries have mandated a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Monitor Canadian Government travel advisory information.

I have questions about landlord-tenant rights/laws in Ontario. Who can I contact?

The Mohawk student’s association can provide you with free Legal Counselling on this topic and more. Please visit the MSA Legal Counselling webpage for more information.


Multi-Language Resources

Where can I find information on COVID-19 offered in multiple languages?