Legal Disclaimer: Although we have done our best to compile thorough, relevant and accurate resources in this guide, Mohawk College does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. Mohawk College is not responsible for the use of the information contained in this guide or linked from these web pages contained in the links below.
- Mental Health and Counselling Services
- Public Health and Safety
- Food-related Resources
- Financial Support
- Shelter and Housing
- Work and Permit Information
- Employment Opportunities & Listings
- Online Volunteering Opportunities
- Scam Protection
- Fun and Entertainment
- Educational and Academic
- Time Management and Organization Tools
- Legal Support
Mental Health & Counselling Services
24/7 Live Support
- Empower Me (for all students)
24 hours, 7 days a week, confidential
Phone: 1-833-628-5589 (Canada & US)
Empower Me website
- Good2Talk provides services to all postsecondary students in Ontario. Call 1-866-925-5454 or text 686868.
- Crisis Service Canada: suicide prevention and support
- ConnexOntario: Addiction, Mental Health, and Problem Gambling Treatment Services. Call 24/7 for mental health and addictions system navigation and information: 1-866-531-2600
- Kids Helpline: for children and teens
Mental Health Emergencies
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please:
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency department
- Call 9-1-1
- Call COAST Hamilton at 905-972-8338
- Counselling Service will continue Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm by phone. Please email counselling [at] mohawkcollege.ca for an appointment.
- Please provide your phone number and student number in your email.
- Learn more about Counselling Services.
- American Psychological Association: Psychology Help Centre - resources for coping with COVID-19
- Naseeha Muslim Youth Helpline: A confidential helpline for youth. Call or text: 1-866-627-3342 from 12-9 pm (EST)
- Free Coronavirus Sanity Guide from Ten Percent Happier
- The Science of Happiness podcast
- The Happiness Lab: Dr. Santos will be offering bonus podcast episodes on how to maintain well-being in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Mindfulness and Meditation Apps from healthline
- Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19: free Coursera course offered by UofT
Public Health & Safety
COVID-19 Government Information
Domestic or Sexual Violence
Guard.me Health Insurance (for international students only)
Mohawk College Health Centre
For more information visit the Health Centre website.
Resources in Hamilton
- Public Health
- Sexual Health Clinics
- Information about COVID-19 in Hamilton
- Centre de santé communautaire
- COVID-19 Business Continuity & Recovery Information: Information for Hamilton businesses
- De Dwa Da Dehs Nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre (for Indigenous students)
- Hamilton Substance Abuse Resources
Full-time Mohawk College students enrolled in programs requiring payment of the ancillary fees to the MSA in September, January, or May are automatically covered by the Plan.
Food banks provide food items on an emergency basis to individuals and families in need. Food banks usually provide a 1-3 day supply of food, once a month to once every three months, per individual or family. Most food banks distribute baby food. Check to see if the food bank is open before you go in person. Identification for each family member and proof of income and/or residency may be required.
- A list of food banks in Hamilton: Please view their website/call before you go.
- A list of local food banks from the MSA (PDF). Includes locations in Flamborough, Dundas and Brantford.
- Hamilton Food Share (other food banks in Hamilton)
*The food banks on this list require identification for each household member, proof of address, and proof of income.
- Community resources in Brampton
- Food programs in Peel (Brampton)
- 541 Eatery & Exchange: Located at 541 Barton Street East, this eatery is handing out free bagged lunches to community members in need.
- Caremonger Grocery Kit Request (Hamilton). Free food donation program in Hamilton, prioritizing those including individuals who are sick, disabled, marginalized communities, and migrants.
- Good Shepherd Men’s Centre: Located at 135 Mary Street. Take away meals available from 3:30pm-4:15pm. Call: 905-528-9109
- Living Rock: For youth aged 25 and under. Located at 30 Wilson Street. Mornings: Breakfast available at the side door, Monday to Friday from 9am-10am. Afternoons: Meals available at the side door Tuesday to Thursday from 4-5pm. Food hampers also available. Weekends: Food hampers and meals available from 1-4pm at the side door. Call: 905-528-7625
- Salvation Army: Located at 94 York Boulevard. Lunches served 11:45am-12:30pm in the back parking lot.
- Salvation Army Soup Van: Location 1: Bayfront at Strachan and McNab from 8pm to 8:45pm. Location 2: Barton at Birch from 9:00pm to 9:45pm.
Financial Support Organizations
Credit Counselling Society
- Non-profit consumer credit and debt counselling service providing debt solutions and help in Hamilton. Call: 1-888-527-8999
- Credit Counselling Society website
- Non-profit agency that provides credit counseling, debt management, money management counselling and free online resources. Call: 1-800-267-2272
- Credit Canada website
Catholic Family Services Hamilton
- Free Financial Wellness Credit Counselling, by appointment only. Call: 905-527-3823
- Email: intake [at] cfshw.com
Filing Taxes in Canada
- Doing your taxes: New tax filing and payment due dates
- Taxes for International students studying in Canada
- Are you an international student studying in Canada?
Income Security Advocacy Centre (ISAC)
- ISAC resource - Community legal aid support. We recommend that you check with the relevant government website for updated information.
Guides to Financial Support
Guide to financial support from the government: This website has been adapted from information compiled and published freely by Dr. Jennifer Robson, Associate Professor of Political Management at Carleton University. You can read the original document here. Dr. Robson is not affiliated with Mohawk College. Any errors or omissions in adapting Dr. Robson’s are the sole responsibility of Mohawk College.
Financial Support for Individuals (City of Hamilton): This site lists some financial supports that are available to help individuals and families experiencing challenges due to COVID-19.
Money can be a major stressor for many people. This is especially true for students who may be facing financial uncertainties during the COVID-19 outbreak. Please visit the Mo' Money website for continuous updates on our upcoming workshops, and on the financial resources available to support students during this time including:
- Fraud and Scams Targeting COVID-19 Fears: How to Recognize it, Reject it and Report it
- Financial Aid Supports and Resources: Updates from the Government of Canada
- Free Webinar Sessions (Dealing with financial uncertainties during COVID-19)
- Free Financial Counselling supports
- Money Management Tools
- Filing Your Taxes - Updates
Please contact momoney [at] mohawkcollege.ca for any questions and supports.
Please contact financialassistance [at] mohawkcollege.ca for matters relating to OSAP, Awards and other financial supports.
Shelter & Housing
- Canada Homestay Network (CHN) Email: hamiltoninfo [at] canadahomestaynetwork.ca
- Other off-campus housing websites
- List of shelters and drop-in centres in Hamilton
- List of shelters, transitional housing and drop-in centres for women in Hamilton
- Indigenous Resources
Work & Permit Resources for International Students
International Student Connect
International Student Connect offers settlement information and orientation to international students pursuing a post-secondary education in Ontario. Their website offers a number of free webinars and fact sheets.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Visit the IRCC website for updates relating to work and study permits.
Migrant Students United
YMCA Employment & Immigrant Services
- Extensions of Work Permits, Study Permits, Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), Post-Graduate Work Permits (PGWPs)
- Links to NOC and Employment Materials
- Canada.ca Programs and Services
- Let's Connect webinars and powerpoint presentations
- Settlement Services via Settlement
For questions, please contact:
Settlement Specialist, YMCA Employment & Immigrant Services
P: (905) 526-8452, Ext. 3401
Email: veronica.dichoso [at] ymcahbb.ca
Employment Opportunities & Listings
Free Job Search Websites
Remote Job Opportunities
Mohawk College Employment Support
- Mohawk’s Employment Support website offers a number of services for students such as Career Tools and CareerReady at Mohawk.
- CareerReady is Mohawk's College's portal where you can view co-op opportunities as well as full time, part-time, and seasonal jobs. From this site you can also book an appointment for individual help with your resume, cover letter and interview skills, view workshops and employment related events.
Online Volunteering Opportunities
There have been reports of scams relating to COVID-19. Scammers target Canadians via text message, emails, door-to-door, and phone calls. It is important to be vigilant when it comes to protecting your personal and financial information!
- Coronavirus-related scams have defrauded Canadians $1.2M (May 4, 2020)
- CBC News: what you need to know about the COVID-19 scams popping up in Canada (March 19, 2020))
- CBC News: Scammers target COVID-19 fears (March 2020)
Fun & Entertainment
Books & Films
Concerts & Music
Cooking & Fitness
Just for Kids
- 200 free educational resources for kids from Open Culture
- We Are Teachers: Top Resources for Learning At Home
- Free subscriptions to educational companies
- Astronauts reading from space
- Operation Storytime: stories read by authors
- Storyline Online: celebrities reading children's books
- Doodling with Mo: Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems
Below are some online resources for students who would like to improve their English language skills. Mohawk College does not provide support for these resources and they are to be used independent from Mohawk College courses to support your learning.
Free Online Courses and Support
- Mohawk Learning Support Centre: The Learning Support Centre offers free peer academic support to Mohawk College students. Their services are available online for the remainder of the semester. Email: lsc [at] mohawkcollege.ca
- LinkedIn Learning: All Mohawk students have access to this website through MyMohawk.
- Learning to Learn Online: a free resource from Athabasca University
- Harvard University
- 450 online Ivy League courses
- Open Library
- The Great Courses: accessible with a Hamilton Public Library card
- The National Emergency Library: a free resource for online book loans
Time Management & Organization Tools
- Tomato Timer: a website and app dedicated to combating procrastination, resulting in more effective time management
- Google Calendar: a shareable, online calendar
- 11 Best To Do List Apps
- Task Management Software
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Solutions
- Office 365
- Digital Project Tools
Mohawk Student’s Association (MSA) Legal Counselling
The Mohawk Student’s Association can provide free legal counselling on topics such as landlord/tenant rights, employment law, and more. Visit their website to learn more.