The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires workplaces with 20 or more employees to establish a Joint Health & Safety Committee (abbreviation: JHSC). These advisory committees are composed of representatives selected from management and workers such that at least 50% of the committee members represent the workers. The function of the JHSC is to support the Internal Responsibility System for workplace health and safety by:
- Meeting regularly (minimum every 3 months)
- Conducting workplace inspections
- Identifying potential health and safety hazards
- Being consulted about workplace testing
- Making recommendations to improve workplace health and safety
Mohawk College has a joint health and safety committee at each of the campuses. Click on the links below to see who your committee members are.
Stoney Creek Campus