The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) was changed several years ago by placing additional responsibilities on employers to enhance worker protection from workplace violence and from workplace harassment. Furthermore, workplace harassment includes “workplace sexual harassment”.
Mohawk College is committed to provide a safe, secure and positive working and learning environment through the implementation of workplace violence and harassment policies and programs.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- Employers need to balance privacy with worker safety. If necessary, employers are permitted to disclose as much personal information as needed to protect workers.
- The provision to disclose personal information under the Occupational Health and Safety Act supersedes privacy legislation.
- No employer or supervisor shall disclose more personal information in the circumstances than is reasonably necessary to protect the worker from physical injury.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Violence Prevention and Protection Policy (opens PDF, 1.1mb)
- ERP810 Reporting and Responding to Violence (opens PDF, 243 kb)
- Respectful Workplace (Harassment & Discrimination) (opens PDF, 2755kb)
- Student Behaviour (opens PDF, 2.7mb)
- ERP805 Emergency Evacuation (opens PDF, 1.7mb)
- ERP808 Bomb Threats (opens PDF, 43.8kb)
- Violence Prevention and Protection (opens PDF, 1225kb)
- Preventing and Responding to Workplace Violence Safety Tips and Guidelines (opens PDF, 509kb)