Early Childhood Education Diploma Continuing Education


How Do I Apply?
Complete the part-time Early Childhood Education application here and submit your original transcript to the address provided. Applications for Diploma programs will not be processed until an original transcript has been mailed/brought into our office. We do not accept photocopies or scans.

l it according to the instructions indicated with the document.

What are the Application Requirements?
Visit the Admission & Registration section of the webpage

When is the Application Deadline?
August 1st for a Fall start, December 1st for a Winter start, and April 1st for a Summer/Spring start. Students are encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointment.

How will I know if I've been accepted?
The Continuing Education Office will notify students via e-mail when admission decisions have been made. 

When will I get more information?
All students who apply and are accepted will be invited to an Orientation evening. Specific details are forwarded to students once they confirm their offer. If you have any questions sooner, contact Continuing Education.

How long is the program?
It is recommended students complete 3 core courses in each semesters. Students who follow the part-time program of studies by completing the courses outlined each semester, as well as complete their field placements, can expect to achieve this diploma in as little as 2 1/2 - 3 years.

What if I need longer or want to complete sooner?
Students who wish to complete more than 3 courses per semester to accelerate their completion timeline should contact the Program Manager.

Students who are unable to complete 3 courses per semester need to be aware that as per the Program Promotion and Graduation Requirements Policy (opens PDF, 96kb), to be eligible for graduation, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of current competencies outlined in the Program of Studies applicable at the time of graduation.  In cases where study has been interrupted or a Program of Study has been updated to reflect industry standards, the College may require a student to repeat a subject area.

What is a Program of Studies?
The Program of Studies - commonly referred to as 'POS' - indicates all the courses required to graduate with a specific credential. Visit the Program of Studies section of the web for details on the current ECE POS.

How do I register for courses?
Registration usually opens 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Once open, students can register in person or by fax using this form (opens PDF, 159kb)Registrations for core courses in this program require special approval and cannot be done online.

How much does this cost?
Part-time students pay on a per-course basis at the beginning of each term. If a student is registering for the recommended number of courses per semester, they can expect to spend approximately $1100 per winter and fall term, and $1800 in the spring/summers.  However, course costs do increase over time and semesters where field placements are registered for will be more expensive. Exact course costs are listed in the catalogue each term. See the CE registration webpage for details.

Is there any Financial Assistance available?
Students should review the CE Financial Assistance webpage and contact a Financial Advisor directly about bursary and loan opportunities for part-time students.

Do I need Textbooks
Most courses utilize a variety of web-based resources that will be linked/available through the online learning portal once you are registered. However, if a textbooks is required, students can use the online Book Store webpage to search for their required materials. It is highly recommended you purchase this resource, especially with blended learning.

How can I apply for an Exemption?
Students who have taken courses similar to those in the Program of Studies at Mohawk College or another academic institution may apply for an exemption to receive credit for the course(s). Exemptions are processed online after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one core course prior to applying for an exemption. Note that exemptions are granted by the individual academic area. Click here to read more about the exemption process.

Can I get credit for Prior Learning/Experience?
Students who have experience inside and outside the traditional classroom, in volunteer and work settings, are eligible to receive credit for their learning. Credit for Prior Learning is processed after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition website for more information.

What are the Placement Requirements?
Three placements in an early learning and care setting are required.

Can I select my own site(s) for Placement?
Once students are registered for a placement course, they will provide the opportunity to select choices of schools/centres in their neighborhood/preferred area. Students may not contact sites themselves. Once selection sheets are submitted, the Field Placement Coordinator will follow the appropriate protocol for the requested location.

Will I get Hired?
Many Mohawk College graduates are hired at the schools/centres in which they have completed a placement after building great relationships with the staff and children. However, all sites have independent hiring practices. Students are encouraged to connect with the Human Resources department of the school board or child care centre they are seeking employment with as to their application procedures/timelines. Many school boards utilize the Apply to Education website where employee profiles and job opportunities are posted. Many childcare centres utilize the Affiliated Services for Children and Youth website for postings as well. For details on graduate employment rates, review the Graduate Employment Report webpage.

What services are available to me during my studies? Counseling? Tutoring? Career Advising?
Continuing education and part-time students can access many services through Mohawk College. Details about Accessible Learning, Dispute Resolution, Library and Technology Support, Resume Writing, etc. can be found on the CE Student Services webpage

How do I apply to Graduate?
Access the Application to Graduate through MOCOmotion, My Student Account tab, My Graduation channel (bottom left side of screen to apply your credential(s). An application must be submitted even if a student does not plan on attending the ceremony.

When is the graduation ceremony?
There are two convocations ceremonies each year: June and October. Part-time diploma students can participate in either one, depending on when they complete their studies. All students must register by the deadline to apply - April for the June ceremony and August for the October ceremony. Once applied, all students are responsible for ensuring their name appears on the list prior to convocation. More information is available on the Preparing for Graduation webpage.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions?
After reviewing this webpage and the FAQs, don't hesitate to contact Continuing Education if you still have questions.