Early Childhood Education Resource Consulting FAQs

Can I apply if I don't have my ECE Diploma?

No. You must have your ECE. However, if the College of ECEs has recognized your diploma/certificate as equivalent, then you may apply with your RECE registration number.

When is the Application Deadline?
For a September start, applications must be submitted by August 1st. Students are encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointment.

How will I know if I've been accepted?
The Continuing Education Office will notify students before August 15th if they have been accepted. However, students who apply early should receive notification within 30 days of applying.

When will I get more information?
All students who apply and are accepted will be invited to an Orientation evening in early September. Specific details are forwarded to students once they confirm their offer. If you have any questions sooner, contact Continuing Education.

How long is the program?
It is recommended students complete 2 core courses in each of the fall, winter and spring semesters. Students who follow the part-time program of studies by completing the courses outlined each semester, as well as complete their field placements, can expect to achieve this graduate certificate in just 1 year. However, students may also complete 1 core course each term for 6 consecutive semesters, in addition to the field work, and achieve their certificate in 2 years time.

What if I need longer or want to complete sooner?
Students who are unable to complete the recommended number of courses per semester need to be aware that as per the Program Promotion and Graduation Requirements Policy (opens PDF, 56kb), to be eligible for graduation, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of current competencies outlined in the Program of Studies applicable at the time of graduation. In cases where study has been interrupted or a Program of Study has been updated to reflect industry standards, the College may require a student to repeat a subject area.

What is a Program of Studies?
The Program of Studies - commonly referred to as 'POS' - indicates all the courses required to graduate with a specific credential. Through Program Review, a POS may change to reflect Ministry mandates and industry updates. Visit the Program of Studies (opens new window) section of the web for details on the current POS.

How do I register for courses?
Registration usually opens 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Once open, students can register in person or by fax using this form (opens PDF, 102.1kb). Registrations for core courses in this program require special approval and cannot be done online.

How much does this cost?
Continuing Education students pay on a per-course basis at the beginning of each term. At this time, students can expect to spend approximately $350 per course. However, course costs do increase over time and semesters where field placements are registered for will be more expensive. Exact course costs are listed in the catalogue each term.

Is there any Financial Assistance available?
Students should review the CE Financial Assistance (opens new window) webpage and contact a Financial Advisor directly about bursary and loan opportunities for part-time students.

Do I need Textbooks?
Most courses utilize a variety of web-based resources that will be linked/available through the online learning portal once you are registered. However, if a textbook is required, students can use the online Book Store webpage to search for their required materials. It is highly recommended you purchase this resource, especially with online learning.

How can I apply for an Exemption?
Students who have taken courses similar to those in the Program of Studies at Mohawk College or another academic institution may apply for an exemption to receive credit for the course(s). Exemptions are processed online after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one core course prior to applying for an exemption. Note that exemptions are granted by the individual academic area. Click here (opens new window) to read more about the exemption process.

Can I get credit for Prior Learning/Experience?
Students who have experience inside and outside the traditional classroom, in volunteer and work settings, are eligible to receive credit for their learning. Credit for Prior Learning is processed after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition website (opens new window) for more information.

What are the Placement Requirements?
Two placements working with children with exceptionalities and their families are required. The following requirements must be met in order to graduate:

Placement 1 - 105 hours
Placement 2 - 105 hours

Students who are not currently employed somewhere suitable to complete practicums can make arrangements for placements to occur in 5-day blocks, a few days a week, or over half days.

Students with occasional or full-time work experience in childcare can apply for PLAR. Recognition will require letters of confirmation and reference, course assignments, supervisor evaluation, and proof of employment. Contact the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (opens new window) office for details.

Can I select my own site(s) for Placement?
Yes! Many students complete their placements with/through their place of employment as long as the employer agrees and all course objectives can be met. However, students who are not employed in childcare centres will also be able to select choices of schools/centres in their neighbourhood/preferred area.

Will I get Hired?
Many Mohawk College graduates are hired at the schools in which they have completed a placement after building great relationships with the staff and children. However, all sites have independent hiring practices. Students are encouraged to connect with the Human Resources department of the school board they are seeking employment with as to their application procedures/timelines. Many school boards utilize the Apply to Education website (opens new window) where employee profiles and job opportunities are posted. Many childcare centres utilize the Affiliated Services for Children and Youth website (opens new window) for postings as well.

What services are available to me during my studies? Counselling? Tutoring? Career Advising?
Continuing education and part-time students can access many services through Mohawk College. Details about Accessible Learning, Dispute Resolution, Library and Technology Support, Resume Writing, etc. can be found on the CE Student Services webpage (opens new window).

How do I apply to Graduate?
Once students complete a local or graduate certificate program on a part-time basis, they must apply to graduate. More information can be found on the Preparing for Graduation webpage (opens new window).

When is the graduation ceremony?
The Continuing Education Convocation ceremony takes place in October. Certificate students can participate in this ceremony, regardless of what semester they complete their studies. However, students who finish in the winter of spring may apply to receive their certificate sooner by mail. All students must register by the deadline to apply: August for the October ceremony. Once applied, all students are responsible for ensuring their name appears on the list prior to convocation. More information is available on the Preparing for Graduation webpage (opens new window).

Who can I talk to if I still have questions?
After reviewing this webpage and the FAQs, don't hesitate to contact Continuing Education if you still have questions.