Financial Assistance Frequently Asked Questions

What is a financial assistance bursary?

A bursary is financial assistance given to students who demonstrate financial need. The bursary is provided to assist students with educational costs.

Bursary funds are limited and are not intended to fund a student's full education cost. Students must meet qualifying guidelines and/or criteria to be considered.

Students do not need to re-pay a bursary.

Can I apply for financial assistance if I am a first year student?

Yes, students who are planning to attend or are currently registered at Mohawk College and can demonstrate financial need are eligible to apply.

What type of financial assistance is available to part-time daytime students?

The Part-time Ontario Student Assistance Program (PT-OSAP) (opens new window) is available to students who are taking 20% - 59% of a full-course load.

Students registered through the Accessibility Learning Services (ALS) can apply for the PT-OSAP if taking a 20% - 39% course load.

Am I eligible for financial assistance if I did not apply for OSAP?

Yes, students are still eligible for financial assistance if not receiving OSAP. However, there is an expectation that applicants first access the OSAP program (or government funding from their home province, if not a resident of Ontario).

When will I find out if I am receiving financial assistance?

You should check your MyMohawk email regularly for information related to your application. Reviews start after the online application is closed and will be on-going throughout the semester.

Is a bursary considered to be income?

Yes. Bursaries are considered part of a student's taxable income for the year by the Canada Revenue Agency. The College will issue T4A forms to all bursary recipients for each tax year a student receives financial assistance.

What if I receive financial assistance and then withdraw from my studies?

Students who withdraw from their studies will be expected to repay the bursary.

What if I am receiving government assistance from a province other than Ontario?

If you are receiving government assistance from a province other than Ontario, submit a copy of your Student Loan Notice of Assessment or Notifications of Awards with your application letter.

Can I receive more than one bursary based on my financial need?

Students may be reviewed for more than one type of financial support depending on their personal situation.

Did you know...

Have more questions?

Check the OSAP Frequently Asked Questions

Check the Awards, Scholarships and Bursaries Frequently Asked Questions

For more information, contact the Financial Assistance Office