The Learning Support Centre and Mohawk College continue to offer a range of support services available online! We encourage you to do the following:
- Practice your study skills through online supports! Workshops and self-guided online modules are offered through the Keys to Success program.
- Check out the MATH MINUTES Videos for some extra math support! The Math Minutes videos are a series of videos that cover some of the basics of Mathematics.
- Explore the ESL Support page for some extra support with language skills! This page includes helpful presentations and activities. Keep checking the Events Calendar for upcoming ESL Conversation Club events as well!
- For access students connected to the Transition Coach, support is available via email – please see further information on the Student Access & Transition Coach.
- If you require additional supports such as longer test times and/or extensions on assignments, please contact Accessible Learning Services at als [at] mohawkcollege.ca
At this time, recruitment of tutors has been delayed while we assess the needs of students this summer. We still intend to have tutoring supports available in a few weeks in a number of key courses. We will update all students with more information on our website as it becomes available.
Our team is still here to support you! Please reach out to lsc [at] mohawkcollege.ca () with any questions.
How many hours of FREE one-to-one Tutoring can I access?
2 hours Course Tutoring per week (1 hour maximum per day).
2 hours of On-Demand Math support per week (1 hour maximum per day).
2 hours of Writing/Communication support per week (1 hour maximum per day).
1 hour of Student Success Mentor 1:1 support per week.
How far in advance can I book a tutoring appointment?
Appointments for Course Tutoring must be booked online at least 2-7 days in advance.
Appointments for Math or Writing/Communication support can be booked up to 10 minutes before the appointment (available on a first come, first serve basis).
Where do I meet my tutor?
*For Fall 2020, all peer tutoring services are ONLINE*
At the time of your appointment:
- Ensure you have access to the internet with a strong connection.
- Log on to your Peer Tutoring WC Online account.
- Click on your scheduled appointment.
- In the dialogue box that opens, click "Start or Join Online Consultation".
- A new window will open. Read and follow instructions.
How do I book with a tutor in my program?
- Use the Limit to function to filter by course name/code, to select a tutor in your subject/program area.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- Other necessary materials
- Come prepared! Tutoring sessions are not a designated time to start an assignment.
What will my tutor help me with?
- Review your homework
- Work through sample problems
- Explain concepts
- Prompt you through steps and let you know when you've made a mistake.
- Offer suggestions for studying and preparing for tests.
- Tutors will NOT do your homework assignments for you.
How do I cancel an appointment?
- You may cancel your appointment up to 3 hours before your Course Tutoring appointment or up to 15 minutes before your Math or Writing/Communication appointment through your Peer Tutoring WC Online account.
- Alternatively, you may email the LSC to cancel your appointment:
E-mail: lsc [at] mohawkcollege.ca
- Three cancellations may result in suspension of booking ability for the remainder of the semester.
What happens if I miss an appointment?
- You must show up within 15 minutes of your start time or it will be marked as a no-show.
- Two no-shows will result in suspension of your account for 1 week. Any future missed appointments or late cancellations will result in bookings being prohibited for the remainder of the semester.
What happens if my tutor has to miss my appointment?
- Every effort will be made to notify you, as soon as the information is available.
- Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee another tutor will be available for their time slot.
- We do our best to post cancellations for drop-in/group tutoring in the Learning Support Centre or on our website.
What happens if I can't find a tutor for my course/program?
- Please contact or visit us. We can assist you in the matching process.
Subject to demand; we cannot guarantee you will be seen by a Tutor. Please be aware that the primary focus of the Peer Tutor Program is to provide tutoring in the first year subjects. There are no guarantees that a Peer Tutor will be available for your subject.
Reminder: You are responsible for your work and final grades. Please refer to the college’s Academic Honesty Policy (opens PDF, 476kb).