Social Service Worker FAQs

How Do I Apply?

Complete the part-time SSW application here and submit your original transcript to the address provided. Applications for Diploma programs will not be processed until an original transcript has been mailed/brought into our office. We do not accept photocopies or scans.

What are the Application Requirements?

Visit the Admission Requirements section of the webpage

When is the Application Deadline?

August 1st for a Fall start, December 1st for a Winter start, and April 1st for a Spring/Summer start. Students are encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointment.

How will I know if I've been accepted?

The Continuing Education Office will notify students via email when admission decisions have been made.

When will I get more information?

All students who apply and are accepted will be invited to an Orientation evening. Specific details are forwarded to students once they confirm their offer.

How long is the program?

It is recommended students complete 3 courses in each of the Fall and Winter semesters and 2 course and some field placement hours each Spring/Summer semester. Students who consistently carry this type of course load can expect to achieve this diploma in as little as 3 years.

What if I need longer or want to complete sooner?

Students who are unable to complete 3 courses per semester need to be aware that as per the Program Promotion and Graduation Requirements Policy (opens PDF, 56kb), to be eligible for graduation, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of current competencies outlined in the Program of Studies applicable at the time of graduation. In cases where study has been interrupted or a Program of Study has been updated to reflect industry standards, the College may require a student to repeat a subject area.

What is a Program of Studies?

The Program of Studies - commonly referred to as 'POS' - indicates all the courses required to graduate with a specific credential. However, through Program Review, a POS may change to reflect Ministry mandates and industry updates. Visit the Program of Studies (opens PDF, 483.4kb) section of the web for details on the current Social Service Worker POS.

How do I register for courses?

Registration usually opens 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Registration for some core courses in this program requires special approval and cannot be done online. This will be indicated in the online registration system. Visit our How to Register page for more information on registering.

How much does this cost?

Part-time students pay on a per-course basis at the beginning of each term. If a student is registering for the recommended number of courses per semester, they can expect to spend approximately $1100 per term. However, course costs do increase over time and semesters where field placements are registered for will be more expensive. 

Is there any Financial Assistance available?

Students should review the CE Financial Assistance (opens new window) webpage and contact a Financial Advisor directly about bursary and loan opportunities for part-time students.

How can I apply for an Exemption?

Students who have taken courses similar to those in the Program of Studies at Mohawk College or another academic institution may apply for an exemption to receive credit for the course(s). Exemptions are processed online after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one core course prior to applying for an exemption. Note that exemptions are granted by the individual academic area. Click here to read more about the exemption process.

Can I get credit for Prior Learning/Experience?

Students who have experience inside and outside the traditional classroom, in volunteer and work settings, are eligible to receive credit for their learning. Credit for Prior Learning is processed after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition website (opens new window) for more information.

What are the Placement Requirements?

600 hours of field placement is required to graduate. Students generally choose to complete three 200 hours placements over three years. Students are strongly discouraged from completing only 100 of placement at a time or completing all 600 hours in one semester. Students must be given exposure to at least two placement agencies.

Arrangements can be made for these placements to occur in 5 day blocks, a few days a week, or in the evenings and weekends.

Can I select my own agency for Placement?

Students are encouraged to complete a Field Placement Matching Guide. Once a student has completed the Field Placement Matching Guide, the Field Placement Coordinator/Program Manager will notify the student regarding their placement opportunity. Students are then required to interview at the agency. Additional paperwork must be completed, signed, returned, and approved before placement can officially begin.

Will I get Hired?

Some Mohawk College graduates are hired by agencies in which they have completed a placement after building great relationships with the staff and managers. For details on graduate employment rates, review the Graduate Employment Report webpage (opens new window).

What services are available to me during my studies? Counselling? Tutoring? Career Advising?

Continuing education and part-time students can access many services through Mohawk College. Details about Accessible Learning, Dispute Resolution, Library and Technology Support, Resume Writing, etc. can be found on the CE Student Services webpage (opens new window).

How do I apply to Graduate?

Access the Application to Graduate through MyMohawk, Academics tab, Graduation channel (left side of screen to apply your credential(s). An application must be submitted even if a student does not plan on attending the ceremony.

When is the graduation ceremony?

There are two convocations ceremonies each year: June and October. Part-time diploma students can participate in either one, depending on when they complete their studies. All students must register by the deadline to apply - April for the June ceremony and August for the October ceremony. Once applied, all students are responsible for ensuring their name appears on the list prior to convocation. More information is available on the Preparing for Graduation webpage.