Volunteer Management FAQs

How Do I Apply?

Simply register when the catalogue comes out (approximately one month prior to a semester start).

How do I register for courses?

Registration usually opens 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Once open, students can register online, in person at The Square or by email using this form.

How much does this cost?

Continuing Education students pay on a per-course basis at the beginning of each term. 

Is there any Financial Assistance available?

Students should review the CE Financial Assistance webpage and contact a Financial Advisor directly about bursary and loan opportunities for part-time students.

Do I need Textbooks?

If a textbook is required, students can use the Campus Stores webpage to search for their required materials.

Who instructs the courses?

All instructors are local practitioners. Many are members of provincial and national organizations in their area of speciality. Instructors are hired based on their expertise for the subject matter and their knowledge of community and corporate resources. When content requires an expert, guest speakers are utilized.

How long is the program?

It is recommended students complete part one during the fall semester, part two in the winter, and part three in the spring to achieve the certificate in 1 year.

What if I need longer to complete the program?

Students who are unable to complete the 3 courses in a one year period need to be aware that changes may be made to the program for the following year. Students may no longer be able to pursue this particular certificate depending on those changes, or they may be accountable to the new program of studies.

What is a Program of Studies?

The Program of Studies - commonly referred to as 'POS' - indicates all the courses required to graduate with a specific credential. Through Program Review, a POS may change to reflect Ministry mandates and industry updates. Visit the Program of Studies section of the web for details on the current POS.

How can I apply for an Exemption?

Students who have taken courses similar to those in the Program of Studies at Mohawk College or another academic institution may apply for an exemption to receive credit for the course(s). Exemptions are processed online after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one core course prior to applying for an exemption. Note that exemptions are granted by the individual academic area. Visit the Course Exemptions page to read more about the exemption process.

Can I get credit for Prior Learning/Experience?

Students who have experience in volunteer and work settings maybe, are eligible to receive credit for their learning. Credit for Prior Learning is processed after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition website for more information.

What services are available to me during my studies? Counselling? Tutoring? Career Advising?

Continuing education and part-time students can access many services through Mohawk College. Details about Accessible Learning, Dispute Resolution, Library and Technology Support, Resume Writing, etc. can be found on the CE Student Services webpage.

How do I apply to Graduate?

Once students complete a local or graduate certificate program on a part-time basis, they apply to Graduate. More information is available on the Preparing for Graduation webpage.

When is the graduation ceremony?

The Continuing Education Convocation ceremony takes place in October. Certificate students can participate in this ceremony, regardless of what semester they complete their studies. However, students who finish in the winter of spring may apply to receive their certificate sooner by mail. All students must register by the deadline to apply: August for the October ceremony. Once applied, all students are responsible for ensuring their name appears on the list prior to convocation. More information is available on the Preparing for Graduation webpage.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions?

After reviewing this webpage and the FAQs, don't hesitate to email us at cecommunity [at] mohawkcollege.ca if you still have questions.