We face bigger, tougher financial decisions than our parents ever did. Over the last 20 years financial decisions have become more complex and the scope of options to save and invest are bigger than ever before.
In November 2014, Mohawk College Financial Assistance launched the long-awaited Mo' Money Centre. Mo' Money is a Student Money Management Centre focused on two goals:
- To help develop critical financial skills
- To provide students with the resources and training to use those skills.
Our promise is to create and sustain a culture of financial empowerment by providing programs, events and opportunities that support students taking responsibility for their financial future, while encouraging everyone to effectively understand and manage their financial resources.
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping people from all walks of life improve their money skills.
We're here to provide you with the resources to:
- Enhance your skills,
- Promote positive change in your beliefs, values and attitudes
- Enhance your ability to solve future challenges.
The Four Pillars of Mo' Money are to..
- Increase awareness and promote the importance of financial literacy.
- Build financial competencies in the areas of money management, budgeting, credit use, financial planning and debt repayment.
- Build students' financial resiliency in order to ensure continued financial success.
- Empower student mentors to assist with promotional activities and provide one-on-one support.
Why is Financial Literacy Important?
Developing financial literacy skills can help you make important decisions with confidence. That's why Mo' Money believes that financial literacy is a key component to the foundation for personal and community prosperity. Understanding money and money management can help open doors and contribute to the long-term security of individuals, families and communities.
Money Matters Module
Mo' Money created the Money Matters Module to help our students build financial competencies in the areas of money management, budgeting, credit use, financial planning and debt repayment. The Module will also help build students' financial resiliency in order to ensure continued financial success.
This free module will help students navigate various phases in their lives including, budgeting, building wealth, making a major purchase, saving, starting a business and planning for life after college. The Money Matters Module is available to all students on MyCanvas. To learn more about the Money Matters Module visit our Resource page.
You can contact the Mo' Money Resource Centre by emailing momoney [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Inquiry%20from%20Website) .