Paying for College: Tuition and Financial Assistance
How much does it cost to study at College?
Expenses you can expect:
- Tuition: Mohawk College tuition costs can vary from program to program, semester to semester. Tuition for specialized programs is often higher.
- Equipment, Books and Supplies: The cost to purchase equipment and supplies is in addition to the cost of tuition fees. You need to budget for these expenses.
- Ancillary Fees: The ancillary fees can be between $650 and $700 per semester. The fees include many of your student support fees, for example, student activity fees, general service fees, athletic fees, health and dental insurance and HSR bus pass. For more info visit the Fees and Finances page.
- Living Costs: Expenses can include housing/residence, transportation, food, clothing and incidentals.
Available financial support:
- Government Funded Support: Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) (opens new window) includes provincial and federal funding. The targeted grants and loans are widely used by students to help with their educational and living costs. The government expects students receiving OSAP to contribute $3,000 towards their educational costs. Depending on your status (married, single, recently graduated high school, etc.), there may also be parental or spousal contributions expected.
- Mohawk Scholarships and Bursaries: You should complete a MyMohawk Financial Assistance Profile each semester. Thanks to generous community donors and institutional support, Mohawk has numerous awards available to students each year.
- Additional Supports: You may not receive enough OSAP funding to cover your costs. You need to take the time to research available external funding opportunities to supplement your OSAP and possible Mohawk award funding.
Help with money management
Once you have your funding secured, you need to manage it. Mohawk’s Mo' Money Resource Centre educates and supports students to become more confident with their finances. You should take advantage of the information available online, in the Centre and at workshops provide throughout the year.