First Time Study Permit Applicants
Students applying for a Study Permit for the first time, will need to apply through a local Canadian Embassy or Consulate, outside Canada. Please visit Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (opens new window), for a list of Canadian Consulates and Embassies abroad.
Students applying for a new permit will need to submit:
- Mohawk College Letter or Acceptance
- Proof of financial support for at least one year of academic study (approximately $20,000).
To begin your permit application, please visit the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada Study Permit page.
Important update for applicants from India only:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have made changes to the Student Partnership Program (SPP) for students from India. The name of the program is being changed to Study Direct Stream (SDS). Students wishing to apply through the SDS program will have to meet the following criteria:
1. Provide Academic IELTS results with an overall 6.0 as well as a 6.0 for all sub-bands, listening, reading, writing and speaking
2. Provide a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 as proof of ability to self-support
3. Provide proof of tuition payment for the first year
Mohawk College will be implementing these standards for the 2018-2019 academic year effective March 1st, 2018. All student applications from India will now have to meet these academic standards.
Any applications that do not meet these standards will not be processed.
Students who already have offers for May 2018, or will be applying for the May 2018 intake, will not be impacted by these changes.
We will share any additional updates to the new SDS program as they are communicated with us by IRCC.